iPoders

Duddle

Registered
I'm thinking of buying an iPod but the price here in the UK is much more expensive than the US web sites that I have visited. Do I have to pay customs tax on it and do I have to buy a special transformer for the battery charger to use 240 volts electricity? Any advice much appreciated.

Not sure about customs - I got a processor upgrade from the US recently and I didn't get charged anything but it might vary for different products, or depend on whether they notice or not. I'd think there should be someone around who'll know more. Good luck!

Remember that the iPod also charges off the firewire bus (on a mac anyway).

Originally posted by monktus
Not sure about customs - I got a processor upgrade from the US recently and I didn't get charged anything but it might vary for different products, or depend on whether they notice or not. I'd think there should be someone around who'll know more. Good luck!

Remember that the iPod also charges off the firewire bus (on a mac anyway).

At least here in Norway it wouldn't be any cheaper - we'd still have to pay tax and a $20 customs fee as everything valued over $30 goes through the customs.
For the power, it does charge from the firewire, but if you also want the power adapter to work you can just buy a cord for it as the connector they use is industry standard :)

Thanx guys for the info, that gives me something to work on. My biggest doubt was the power issue as someone told me that I would have to get a transformer for it.

Todays rate - 20GB iPod in US $494 = UK £310 compared to 20GB iPod UK £398.99 and some US sites also bundle speakers with it.

All the best
Duddle.

If it's of any consulation, the power adapter is just like the ones on the ibooks/powerbooks. You can take the pronged thingy off and put on ones from different countries if you buy the international adapter kit.

So the power adapter shouldn't be the price problem, because they are interchangable.

My dad goes to London quite a bit and he bought the kit for his Powerbook.

I have fallen in love with the new iPod and am wondering which one to buy i currently have a 6.73Gb music collection and it is growing at a rapid rate. pls help

Originally posted by dixonbm
If it's of any consulation, the power adapter is just like the ones on the ibooks/powerbooks. You can take the pronged thingy off and put on ones from different countries if you buy the international adapter kit.

So the power adapter shouldn't be the price problem, because they are interchangable.

My dad goes to London quite a bit and he bought the kit for his Powerbook.

Thanx dixonbm for your reply and info, I will take a note of that. I am going to contact a US store by phone and find out about customs tax as it looks like there is no problem about buying one from US. Depending on customs tax I think I will go ahead and get one.

All the best
Duddle.

Originally posted by mac_evangelist
I have fallen in love with the new iPod and am wondering which one to buy i currently have a 6.73Gb music collection and it is growing at a rapid rate. pls help
Well obviously, don't get the 5 GB model, if they even make it anymore.

You should look at your music ripping/downloading habits and compare the size of your library from one point to another. How much does it grow in a day? week? month? If it grows by 5ish songs per day, you should probably go with the 15 or 30 GB model. If it's only 5 songs per week, the 10 or 15 GB size will do. If it's merely 5 songs per month, then a 10 GB iPod will suit you nicely.

Originally posted by Duddle
Thanx guys for the info, that gives me something to work on. My biggest doubt was the power issue as someone told me that I would have to get a transformer for it.

Todays rate - 20GB iPod in US $494 = UK £310 compared to 20GB iPod UK £398.99 and some US sites also bundle speakers with it.

All the best
Duddle.

The above prices relate to a 30GB iPod not 20GB as I originally posted.

Duddle.

hi duddle

i'm afraid that, strictly speaking, everything that is purchased abroad and sent into the uk is liable to to taxation and duty of up to 21.5% (17.5% vat + 4% duty)

the best way round this out is to find an friend who's visiting the us / returning to the uk and ask them to buy it for you...

if it's a brit buying in the us, he will also be able to claim any local american taxation included in the price, when leaving the states...

it works for me!

equally, sometimes customs overlook / miss items arriving in the uk - but don't bank on it - it's not something they tend to do! sorry... :(

as for power, i highly recommend the international power adaptor kit - it really is a good investment if you travel around at all...

Back