iPods infiltrating Microsoft

bbloke

Registered
So, apparently Microsoft staff prefer the iPod, and the management don't like it!

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/02/02.8.shtml
MacObserver said:
Apple's iPod is infecting every corner of the world including, to Microsoft's dismay, its own corporate campus.

"About 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a portable music player have an iPod," one high-level manager who asked to remain anonymous told Wired "It's pretty staggering."

That translates into about 16,000 iPods on Microsoft's Redmond, WA campus that's home to 25,000 employees. In an after to curtail the white headphone trend, Microsoft executives have taken to sending out memos frowning on iPod use. After hearing the nearby Apple retail store was selling out of hundreds of iPods regularly, Dave Fester, general manager of the Windows Digital Media division, sent a note to the group saying "I sure hope Microsoft employees are not buying iPods. We have great alternatives. Check out http://experiencemore."

Many employees have taken to hiding their iPod use by swapping out the white headphones for a pair of third-party black ones, although workers in the Macintosh Business Unit proudly tote their iPods with them.

"These guys are really quite scared," said the source of Microsoft's management. "It shows how their backs are against the wall.... Even though it's Microsoft, no one is interested in what we have to offer, even our own employees."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?home&NewsID=10761
MacWorld UK said:
...He reveals that "about 80 per cent" of Microsoft employees who own a music player own iPods. And describes managers there as "scared", feeling that even their own workers aren't interested in the Windows-technology backed alternatives to Apple's market leading music player...

Those numbers only assume that 100% of Microsoft Employees carry a portable music player. <rolling eyes>

But, very cool none-the-less.

No, I think Scott means, that the article assumed everyone at MS had a music player, by saying "about 16,000 iPods on Microsoft's Redmond, WA campus that's home to 25,000 employees".

25,000 employees, and the article assumed that 16,000 of them had an iPod. But not all people at MS have a music player. :)

"About 80 percent of Microsoft employees who have a portable music player have an iPod," one high-level manager who asked to remain anonymous told Wired "It's pretty staggering."

That's not assuming anything, it's an approximation, wouldn't you say? :cool:

Yeah, but 80% of Microsoft Employees who have a portable music player would have an iPod.

But we do not know how many employees have a music player. So, therefore, saying 16,000 out of 25,000 (the number of employees at the campus, approximately ;)) (be it assumption, approximation,) is fairly vague, and Scott was right in his point.

They are guessing how many employees microsoft has, certainly, but what's not vague is management's reaction to the situation (see Wired link).

Also, I think 80% is 80% no matter how you slice it. And those words are from an anonymous Microsoft insider. Whether it's 80% of 20,000 or 200, it doesn't really matter, does it? ;)

Weeeell .... :D

ipodbill.png

Natobasso said:
They are guessing how many employees microsoft has, certainly, but what's not vague is management's reaction to the situation (see Wired link).

Also, I think 80% is 80% no matter how you slice it. And those words are from an anonymous Microsoft insider. Whether it's 80% of 20,000 or 200, it doesn't really matter, does it? ;)

Yah it does, I am just saying Scott's point was right. On the campus there are 25,000 people, I wouldn't expect much more than that on one campus. That's just me though. But just saying 80% of those people have iPods, is incorrect.

Gia, is that picture legit? I have seen it so many times, I wonder.

EDIT: I mean the 'original' photo, minus the iPod. Didn't notice that!

Convert said:
Yah it does, I am just saying Scott's point was right. On the campus there are 25,000 people, I wouldn't expect much more than that on one campus. That's just me though. But just saying 80% of those people have iPods, is incorrect.

Convert, how do you know? (Kind of a silly argument since neither one of us has any data to back up our claims.)

Long and short, some employees have iPods. Conclusion: Managers send emails saying no more iPods at work. End of story. :)

*sigh*... No, ScottW. They assume that 80% of all people there have MP3-players, of which 80% have iPods. Look at the numbers:

80% of 25'000 would be 20'000.
16'000 is 80% of 20'000.

Still: That'd be a large percentage of employees to use MP3-players. But that's not the story. Story is people who _do_ use MP3 players use iPod. Even at Microsoft. Which is nice. For Apple.

Natobasso said:
Convert, how do you know? (Kind of a silly argument since neither one of us has any data to back up our claims.)

Long and short, some employees have iPods. Conclusion: Managers send emails saying no more iPods at work. End of story. :)

Yeah, I guess it was a flawed argument on both halves, hehe.

Back