ipsec on OS X release

esc

Registered
Does anyone know if Apple will support ipsec on the OS X release?

ipv6 and ipsec showed up in Darwin about a month ago and it would be extra sweet to see it in production OS X -(it would certainly make tunneling more robust than using shims in Wintel machines and could be an interesting sales point for corporate Macs)

Very difficult to imagine an upgrade, fix, or other useful change being committed to Darwin without intent to roll into the retail OS.

I think this improvement is intended by Apple to be a selling point to developers, who know the use of the feature. Users will typically not, and Apple hasn't yet targetted IT/enterprise/corporate users. I think Apple should, of course; who uses Unix now? Whis is who Apple should target, and with the servers in hand move into clients through IT departments who want easier lives. JMHO.

Originally posted by sea_dragons
I think this improvement is intended by Apple to be a selling point to developers, who know the use of the feature. Users will typically not, and Apple hasn't yet targetted IT/enterprise/corporate users. I think Apple should, of course; who uses Unix now? Whis is who Apple should target, and with the servers in hand move into clients through IT departments who want easier lives. JMHO.

This would be a killer feature for me. I do Information Assurance (i.e security) for a living and it would be an immense feather in Apple's cap to deliver OS X with built-in IPSEC at this point in the game. Among other things, it would let me do more of my work from home in my pajamas... :).

Back