IRC Client

jdog

Not a Moderator
Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has found a "free" IRC client for OSX that they like? I cannot turn up anything. Later this summer I plan on writing my own client, but I would like something to hold me over.

jdog

There's all the *nix clients - I've had BitchX working, but i suppose epic would work as well. There's also one called JediKnight that I haven't had much luck with, but it looks great (translucent windows, input line in a drawer etc)

The one I actually *use* is ircle carbon - not free, but only $15 to register.

I'd just love to find a client, Shareware or not, Carbon or Cocoa that provides me the same functionality I'm used to with IRCing from Windows (Or even Ksirc or X-Chat in Unix).

God forbid I get separate windows that pop open for messages. Even better, you would think that tab auto-nick completion would be available. At BEST, I've found scripts for Ircle that allow nick completion, but require me to hit nick: and just pray it autocompletes correctly...

Call me lazy :):)

just call everyone 'dude'

There's a new beta of JediKnight out,which is a nifty Cocoa client, but not as good as ircle (yet) IMO

Its not buggy so much as just wierd. The one major bug I found was the input line loses focus if you click just about anywhere else, but I think the release notes claim that it's a Cocoa bug.

It does have alot of Cocoa-licious features that no other client has - User list & input line in a drawer, window alpha. It's not really usable now, but I'll be keeping tabs on it.

I like the Fire app. It got Aim, Icq, irc, jabber, msn, and yahoo all in the same package. I have just used it for MSN and it works enough to be usable, with some limitations tough. But its free :)

Originally posted by Click
I like the Fire app. It got Aim, Icq, irc, jabber, msn, and yahoo all in the same package. I have just used it for MSN and it works enough to be usable, with some limitations tough. But its free :)

I could not get Fire to connect to an IRC server. Anyone have any luck?

Originally posted by endian

It does have alot of Cocoa-licious features that no other client has - User list & input line in a drawer, window alpha. It's not really usable now, but I'll be keeping tabs on it.

I agree. The drawers are very cool.

Are you really 6'4"? I'm 6'5".

-jdog

I've been using Fire pretty mcuh constantly, and find it works well with MSN and ICQ (the only 2 services I regularly use). THere is a bug in MSN which causes it to unexpectedly quit on occasions, but the author guy, Eric Peyton, is working on a fix for that in the next release.

Not tried IRC, but from his FAQ it looks like there's a knack to it.

http://www.epicware.com/fire-services.html#IRC

Wahtever, it's certainly better than the ICQ for OS X client, which is gaudy-looking, horribly sounding and about as intuitive as a cardboard monkey.

I could not get Fire to connect to an IRC server. Anyone have any luck?

I got it to connect, but kept getting kicked off. I haven't tried it in awhile though.

I agree. The drawers are very cool.

Another nifty thing is it puts the # of unread PM's in its dock icon,like Mail.app does.

Are you really 6'4"? I'm 6'5".

Yup. I may have been wearing shoes last time I measured though.. either 6'3" or 6'4"

Back