Is 8.6 install possible?

setz

Registered
Is it possible to install 8.6 on a separate partition as opposed to the commonly reffered to OS 9 install? In other words, do you have to have a copy of OS 9 to be able to use OS X public beta?

Although I haven't tried to install OS X with 8.6, I am currently running OS X (4K17) with 9.1 (not because I want to, but because my G4 can only run 9.1 and higher). This might be relevent to your question because Classic under OS X does not recognize 9.1, just as I would imagine it wouldn't recognize 8.6 either. Despite the fact that OS X cannot use my 9.1 system for running Classic, OS X itself runs just fine.

So, to make a long story short, my guess is that OS X would work for you just as it does for me, i.e. without the Classic environment, but fine otherwise.

P.S. Make sure to install OS X on a separate partition from OS 8.6. I made the mistake of installing OS X on the same partition as 9.1, and I barely survived to tell the tale. :(

Yes!!! I would think it almost certainly is because I use MacOS X on one disk, but I have MacOS 8.5 on my other disk. I have never experienced any problems except of course that you will not be able to use the Classic environment for older MacOS Programs, but other than that it should work fine...
Dave

I got OS X beta a while before I got OS 9 installed, and was dual booting PB/8.6. This worked fine, except that of course Classic didn't work - I had to reboot into 8.6 to use classic Mac applications.

This was a problem at that point, since there were not a lot of apps available for OS X (native). By now, I hardly ever use Classic anyway, there is enough reliable software for my everyday use that runs under X.

How did you get to install OS X with newer G4 (I assume you meant the newer 133Mhz bus Digital Audio)? I tried the Public Beta, and it just crashes during boot up the cd.

Thanks in advanced.

vortex3d@hotmail.com

Originally posted by maxuser
Although I haven't tried to install OS X with 8.6, I am currently running OS X (4K17) with 9.1 (not because I want to, but because my G4 can only run 9.1 and higher). This might be relevent to your question because Classic under OS X does not recognize 9.1, just as I would imagine it wouldn't recognize 8.6 either. Despite the fact that OS X cannot use my 9.1 system for running Classic, OS X itself runs just fine.

So, to make a long story short, my guess is that OS X would work for you just as it does for me, i.e. without the Classic environment, but fine otherwise.

P.S. Make sure to install OS X on a separate partition from OS 8.6. I made the mistake of installing OS X on the same partition as 9.1, and I barely survived to tell the tale. :(

Vortex3D,
You are correct. The Public Beta does not run on the new G4's. There have been a number of non-public builds since then, e.g. builds 4K17, 4K29, 4K33, etc. These and later builds work fine on the new G4's, although sound support is still missing.

Back