Is Appleworks really that bad?

The7artist7

Freelance Illustrator
I'm planning on migrating to osx fully soon - thing is among other things I currently do my accounts using the classic version of appleworks - nothing fancy and haven't had a problem really but I've read a lot of bad reviews of the latest versions of appleworks. This is putting me off upgrading but I really don't want to have to build all my spreadsheet all over again in a different program:(

Anybody using appleworks for osx? (preferably under Tiger10.4.8) - how do you find it?

Thanks in advance!:D

AppleWorks has been Carbon-based since about 1938. Unless it is very old--Ver. 6.1 or older--it should run as a native MacOS X app albeit requires Rosetta on Intel-based Macs.

I bought AppleWorks 6 off E-bay, it ran fine on my 12" Powerbook with Panther. I'm not sure about Tiger because I included AW when I sold the PB on e-bay a few months back to get my Mini. If it ran fine under Panther I don't see any reason why it shouldn't run equally as well under Tiger. Apart from being slightly slower on an Intel through rosetta.

i use the latest version of apple works on 10.4.8, and its just fine. i don't know what i'll do when i can't use it anymore. it has been one of the best all around apps i've ever used. its a same apple doesn't update it or make a suitable replacement. the only real issues i've seen are even ones to bother worrying about. because its an early carbon app, it doesn't follow all the os x gui rules. but it doesn't effect its performance. if really feels like your running an app in classic, only it has the os x menu bar. upgrade without fear i say.

I've never had problems getting AW to run in OS X. The only problem is that it's a poorly-ported OS 9 app, and it shows through and through. It doesn't even use X-style font smoothing — instead you get the nasty 9-style smoothing that creates all kinds of visual glitches. This makes it pretty much worthless to me as a word processor, because who the heck wants to use a word processor that displays barely-legible text?!

It also doesn't make use of any of OS X's goodies like built-in spell checker, dictionary popup, standard scroll wheel support, etc.

It's really exactly like the OS 9 version. From a compatibility standpoint, that should be great. I don't think you'll run into any technical problems with it.

Thanks guys - I'm guessing the problem arises when people try to use it above it's simple capabilities - in my eyes it was always a simple prog but very useful for the more boring stuff ( to me anyway!;) ) like letters and accounts. Hmmm so if it's super jaggy text - is there any non-microsoft word processing progs out there you guys can recommend for mac?

TextEdit, OS X's standard text editor (SimpleText's replacement) is actually a pretty capable word processor. See http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271339

NeoOffice is pretty good, too. It's not very Mac-like either, but at least it has nice-looking text and great compatibility with MS Office files. Apparently a more Mac-like version is in the works. NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice.org, and it is free.

- is there any non-microsoft word processing progs out there you guys can recommend for mac?
I've really enjoyed "Pages" that's bundled with "Keynote" and sold as "iWork". Still, along with the above posts I'd have to ask about trying some free apps before putting down money for something that may be overkill. As Mikuro mentioned, TextEdit is pretty good (and not too slow). Also, the "productivity tools" section of Apple's "OS X Downloads" may have something. StevePerfect is small and looks good, for example.

I use NeoOffice which is a native port of OpenOffice. I dumped MS Office on all my OSes (Mac, Linux, Windows) as much as I can in favour of Oo. There are times when I need to use MS Office for 100% compatibility with clients. OpenOffice/NeoOffice is the main competitor for a full MS Office alternative. People have complained it looked to much like Unix/Windows. There's a Aqua version out now, still beta but it's very solid plus it's universal (PPC/Intel). OpenOffice does have a Mac version but its far behind the Linux and Windows versions. NeoOffice is the unofficial Mac port for Oo.

You may want to still look at AppleWorks, especially if you don't want to redo all your work. Personally I didn't have any font problems with jaggy or unreadable text.

OOo/NeoOffice Aqua:

is it actually an Aqua application, or is it still just horrid Java, but with a new skin?

It certainly doesn't feel like an Aqua application. The window goes blank while re-sizing, it's a bit slow, and it's still a little messy, UI-wise. Still, it's a viable Office replacement, the interface is nearly identical. It even prompts you to register when you first open it up.

Hello guys this topic seems to be going well :) Thanks for all the suggestions - will check out the links and see what suits my needs best :) Yes, I already have a version of Neo Office (not sure what version) and it is v.v. slow to the level of almost unusable... especially on my current Mac! I was kinda waiting till I get the faster machine to check how it is.

Yeah Text edit is pretty good but a little fiddly - to be honest I mainly use Adobe illustrator for 1 page stuff as I have so much control over placement.

It was mainly the spreadsheet side of Appleworks as it would be great not to have to redo it all *shudder!* :(

well, awesome! - I said it before, I say it again - this forum is great - so many helpful people who know what they're on about! :D

Mellel: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/8712 is amazingly good, although it's $49. For a 1st class word processor, though, the price is not exorbitant.

Text Wrangler: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11009
is really sweet and it's FREE!

Both definitely worth checking out.

I will second the notion on Mellel, I been using it for a few months now, and it is an excellent word processors. You can use it for thirty days, as a trial. For the price, you will be satisfied with Mellel.

As you have read, Apple Works is a nice program, although it is out dated. You may want to invest in a program with will continue to get supported and carry you into the next few years, as different versions of OSX come out.

I think the negative comments about AppleWorks come from two sides, really.

1.) People who liked AppleWorks, but over the years saw that development had stalled - or rather _ended_. Clearly, Apple intends to replace it with iWork - but that's not a full replacement just yet. Still: If you're working with AppleWorks _now_, I'd suggest to continue doing that. You can already jump over to Pages for word processing. I personally find it a good alternative.

2.) People who were looking for a nice, complete, cheap office package on Mac OS X. AppleWorks just wasn't up-to-date in recent years. It didn't use the latest technologies OS X offered, rendered type differently (which made it look awful compared to a native app like TextEdit) and overall just didn't feel like an OS X application. To move to OpenOffice or NeoOffice would, of course, worsen that effect, since that either depends on X11 or Java - both of which don't make an app feel exactly like a "real" OS X application.

So... Move to OS X and take a look at how things work for you in AppleWorks. Get a trial version of iWork to look at how Pages handles your wordprocessing documents (some reformatting might be necessary - as with any transition to a different wp/layout app...) and where it could help you beyond the capabilities of AW. There are lots of options, really. I wouldn't totally rule out Microsoft Office either. We Mac-heads might despise Microsoft for many things, but MS Office is a complete package that works for many things just fine. Its formats are not to go away for some time as well.

Thanks guys! :)

That's been really helpful as I was worried that appleworks had pretty much become unusable on osx the way some people were talking in reviews!

Many thanks for all the other info you guys have provided on alternate progs etc - excellent :D

Back