Is everyone happy with OS X 10.4.10?

White-Knight

Registered
Is everyone happy with OS X 10.4.10?

There are two reports on here of "un-mac-like" behavour of these faithful computers - even if one of them is off me!!!

Since using OS X 10.4.10 I have noticed that the menu bar, and the password dialogs are vulnerable to crashing and totally freezing the entire OS X and can lead to me having to forcefully "Hard Reboot" the machine.

Usually when you enter an incorrect password, the dialog shudders, and then immediatly allows you to try again. in this case, it freezes and does not always come unstuck so i have to shut off power and then reboot. sometimes when it does not totally freeze i could wait up to 10 minutes!!

With two wireless networks in our house, i am asked if i want to join the BT network. 99% of the time, i would like to go for the Pipex because it is bigger bandwidth. In 10.4.7 when i clicked No to BT broadband, then clicked the icon in my menu bar to access Pipex straight afterwards, there was no problem. now, in 10.4.10 the system packs up and needs a hard reboot to get going again.

This is why i re-installed OS X and OS X 10.4.7 - which is what came with the machine - had no trouble.

I might be the forum nutcase; this might just be the mac. But it conveniently happens when i use OS X 10.4.10 so before i blame Apple, please could i ask you all if you have had any trouble with new OS X 10.4.10 and just as a case study, this question:

If there are errors in 10.4.10, who is to say that 10.5 Leopard is going to be a good investment for our Macintosh?

Thanking you in advance,

White-Knight
macosx.com Forum Nutcase

I have seen some of these problems, and I've noticed that they are worse on an intel than a powerpc.

I haven't experienced any errors with 10.4.10. Then again, I usually go about the following steps before updating:

1. Disconnect all non-essential USB/Firewire hardware, leaving only the keyboard and mouse.
  2. Repair permissions on the hard drive.
  3. Install the update using a Combo Updater that I manually downloaded (I like to preserve the Combo Updater for use in other Macs like my father's Mac and the ones at work).
  4. After installing the update, I repair permissions again.
  5. Reconnect all of the disconnected non-essential USB/Firewire devices.

While you can stay with the older version of the OS, remember that you run the risk of any security holes that would have been plugged up with a newer minor revision of 10.4.

Incidentally, I updated the Intel iMacs at work to 10.4.10 and so far so good. About the only thing I did different on the Intel Macs was that I used the Delta update from within Software Update. However, I did perform the Repair Disk function before and after the update. I even went so far to run a Disk Repair in Single User Mode before performing the update (since these iMac Core 2 Duos are used in a classroom setting).

Didn't see any such problems on two MacBooks (one CoreDuo, one Core2Duo). My girlfriend updated her Core2Duo with the Delta updater through Software Update, I recently reinstalled Tiger completely (after a Leopard test of about a week on my main drive) and used the combo updater.

10.4.10 ALWAYS freezes my MacBook. For example, I drag a file to my iDisk, it copies and then it says "20 out of 20 MB copied, (closing file)..", then an hour later that dialog is still there! I have to then hold down the power button till it shuts down. Also, when typing in the IP address of my MacBook on my iBook, 10.4.9, (to connect to it), it says that this server doesn't exist, although obviously it does!
So I really, really hope 10.5 is compatible with 10.4.9 machines in the same network, and that Leopard will arrive in October or sooner!

Leopard is currently believed to be released at the _end_ of October. Certainly not any earlier. Let's hope it won't be further postponed.

This is a Mac Mini intel Core Duo 1.83!!!! I would have hoped that this would help me out!! Being a reasonably new mac and all that,, so where is the Delta Updater? becuase i have just been letting software update do the job!! perhaps i aught to have looked a little bit deeper.

I heard that Leopard is meant to be out in October now i hope that I can get that to try and overcome these problems - if it is 10.4.10!!

Thanks for your feedback folks!!

The Delta updater only updates you from the previous version number that you're at before the update. So if you download the 10.4.10 Delta Updater, you have to have at least 10.4.9 installed. To update to 10.4.10 from anything less than 10.4.9, you need the Combo Updater.

As a matter of fact, the Delta Updater is the same thing that's pushed out over Software Update if you're running the version before it. I think the only time the Combo Update is called upon through Software Update is when you're running something two versions less than the latest update version.

Hopefully that made some sense. :)

My powerpc has started crashing out of nowere when I accessing the scanner, when it was fine before.

If you've installed 3rd party drivers for peripherals, I recommend reinstalling them or checking the manufacturer's website for updated drivers. Problems like that are usually related to the driver.

Back