Is it possible to change the creation dates of files?

And while we're on it: How can I take away some mileage from my car and oh yeah: Where to get those fancy illegal things they're always talking about...?
I.e.: You _shouldn't_ change creation dates of files/folders/e-mails. If you have to fake information for some legal case, consult your lawyer...

Is he always like this? I have files on my machine that have been with me since System 7 first came out. Over the years there have been times when the clock went haywire and it created files and emails with 1904 creation dates. I merely want to change it to their "real" creation dates.

If you mean me with "he": Just address me directly. ;) ... No, I'm not always like this. Guess I read something into your questions. You can try "man touch" in Terminal and see whether that does anything that could help you. (I guess it only changes the modified date, though.) For E-Mail: Tiger actually uses single files for messages. Panther and earlier didn't. I'm not sure, though, whether Mail in Tiger uses the date of the file for the date of the mail index... If it does, you could just apply the solution for files to mails...

I think just most of the time...

I was just about to suggest you to use an older server, and to make the server have to reboot, and you could have the files created in 1904... ;) but specifying the why you need the file creation dates changed, that wouldn't really make sense, since you know THAT way to change the dates already.. I hope the shareware they suggested earlier in this thread satisfies you so you can have the files created back maybe a bit later than 1904, I would probably guess that you would have most of your files created even after 1976 ...

Back