Is it possible to wirelessly stream .avi files to my TV from my Mac

patrean

Registered
I know iTunes coupled with iTV will stream wirelessly but this means I have to re-encode all my files (I think). Anyone know of any other options. Also best software for recording and then streaming to TV.

Thanks

if it works in iTunes, then it works with appletv.
That's not the way that I read the Apple TV page and why I canceled my order. On the "What you need" tab, Apple says:

Video
• Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

Audio
• Audio formats supported: AAC (16 to 320 Kbps); protected AAC (from iTunes store); MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps); MP3 VBR; Apple Lossless; AIFF; WAV

Did I misread the specs? I too am interested in Apple TV primarily for viewing .AVIs on my TV. Also, to get AVIs to play in QuickTime, I installed Perian, so I don't think it's a native part of QT. I don't think I've ever tried an AVI in iTunes.

You can get yourself a set top box and then stream to it using VLC if you so wish. The beauty of VLC is that you can run it in the background, and it can stream on demand. This means you turn on your TV, select your movie, and play it -- all using the remote on the TV - you don't have to go near your computer to play a movie.

http://www.aminocom.com is such a company that offers set top boxes that can be used with VLC.

Back