Is it safe to Run Norton AV 9 in Panther ?

Shadowarrior

Registered
I had a kernel panic yesterday while i was scaning my HD using Norton AV 9. Since panther is still in its beta stage, is it safe to run an antivirus software in it ?

Well, if Norton AV 9 creates kernel panics, I'd say no. But that's rather application-specific than software genre-specific.

I'd say it's NEVER safe to run Norton on anything anymore. I get the impression they've got one old guy in the basement with a Macintosh SE. He cobbles together some software, they release it, and we watch it eat systems alive.

Virex is a much safer alternative.

Thanks to all for your input but I thought NAV 9 was good since it can detect PC viruses which is an important feature for me and my home network.

PC viruses do nothing to you on your Mac. I think everyone gets randomly a bunch of obsolete .exe or .scr files from windows users that use windows address book and outlook and no antivirus. Just trash the viruses, they do nothing to your mac anyway. :)

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Norton and OSX and refuse to go anywhere near any of their products!! Even NAV 9 which I think is written for OSX messed up my system. Steer well clear.

Originally posted by Giaguara
PC viruses do nothing to you on your Mac. I think everyone gets randomly a bunch of obsolete .exe or .scr files from windows users that use windows address book and outlook and no antivirus. Just trash the viruses, they do nothing to your mac anyway. :)

yes you're right Giaguara and I am aware of that but my biggest concern is not that PC viruses can do any harm to my mac but that my mac can spread them to other PC's connected to my network or to friends and colleagues. A virus such as Nimda that spread through e-mail is a perfect example. Anyway, I think I am gonna have to settle for Virex since stability is my number 1 concern. Thanx

That would only be true if you emailed yourselft the nimda virus to your PC because to spread via email, the virus must be able to run on and infect the machine, which it wouldn't do on the Mac. The only way to spread from your Mac to the PC would be to transfer the file to the PC and run it.

I have NAV on my PC but nothing on my Mac.

oops I got a bunch of errors while trying to uninstall NAV 9 Now I'm convinced its not good. Looks like I m gonna ahve to do another clean install :mad:

I can't get rid of NAV 9, I tried 3 times now using the uninstaller bundled with the software and I alway get an "UNKNOWN ERROR" msg. So talk to you after I'm finished with the clean install :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back