Is Mail COCOA?

Very, even. :)

Mail.app existed already for OpenStep and before NeXT-Step.

Ok I have head of openstep and nextstep... mostly because several xwindows clients claim to be based on them... but what these various xsteps xwindows clients/managers or were they built into some other os running on some obscure IBM mainframe somewhere?

Originally posted by BSDimwit
Ok I have head of openstep and nextstep... mostly because several xwindows clients claim to be based on them... but what these various xsteps xwindows clients/managers or were they built into some other os running on some obscure IBM mainframe somewhere?

If I understand your question, these are window managers for X Windows. X Windows is basically a server, so you need the window manager for the GUI. WMs like AfterStep and WindowMaker were designed to look like NeXT, because a lot of people love the NeXT GUI. So you won't find THESE people complaining about the Dock! :)

Originally posted by hazmat

If I understand your question, these are window managers for X Windows. X Windows is basically a server, so you need the window manager for the GUI. WMs like AfterStep and WindowMaker were designed to look like NeXT, because a lot of people love the NeXT GUI. So you won't find THESE people complaining about the Dock! :)

I don't think that was what the fellow was asking, I think he was asking what exactly "NeXTStep" and "Openstep" really were and what hardware they ran on.

A short answer to your question:
Back in 1986 Steve Jobs left Apple and created a new company, NeXT which built 68000-based computers running an OS called NeXTStep which featured a graphical user interface on top of UNIX (specifically BSD/Mach).

Later on the OS was ported to Intel hardware and renamed "Nextstep" (version 3.x). Still later on it was also ported to Sun/Solaris and HP hardware. With the 4.0 version was released it was then renamed "OpenStep" because some of the OS was made open source (like Darwin is now).

In 1997 Apple bought NeXT and NeXTStep/Openstep became Rhapsody then Mac OSX Server and finally the Mac OSX we know and love.

So basically it was
NeXTStep->Nextstep->Openstep->Rhapsody->Mac OSX Server->Mac OSX

(Yes, I know that the progression was a lot more complicated than this but I'm trying to make this answer short so don't flame me :)

Originally posted by AlanBDahl
So basically it was
NeXTStep->Nextstep->Openstep->Rhapsody->Mac OSX Server->Mac OSX

The funny thing is that it's more like...
NeXTSTEP -> NextStep -> OPENSTEP -> OpenStep -> Rhapsody -> Mac OS X Server -> Mac OS X

Notice the capitalization!

NeXTSTEP was a REALLY awesome OS, and its UI was absolutely beautiful. It's "docking" abilities were far more advanced that OS X's dock. A lot of NeXTSTEP users actually dislikes the dock... They think of it as a crappy implementation of a great idea...

Here are some links about NeXTSTEP and NeXT in general... Their computers were drool-worthy!!!

http://www120.pair.com/mccarthy/nextstep/intro.htmld/
http://www.blakespot.com/list/images/slab.jpg
http://www.objectfarm.org/Activities/Publications/TheMerger/index.html

-B

This is not to say that your guy's lineages are wrong, but here is a far more detailed break down of the evolution of Rhapsody:

OS Version_______OS Name__________OS Code Name
0.8___________NeXTstep 0.8  
1.0___________NeXTstep 1.0  
2.0___________NeXTSTEP 2.0  
2.1___________NeXTSTEP 2.1  
2.2___________NeXTSTEP 2.2  
3.0___________NEXTSTEP 3.0  
3.1___________NEXTSTEP 3.1  
3.2___________NEXTSTEP 3.2  
3.3___________NEXTSTEP 3.3  
4.0________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.0  
4.1________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.1  
4.2________OPENSTEP for Mach 4.2  
5.0______Rhapsody Developer Release  
5.1_____Rhapsody Developer Release 2____Titan1U
5.2___________Rhapsody 1.0  
5.3________Mac OS X Server 1.0 ________Hera1O9
5.4_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.1________Hera1O9
5.5_______Mac OS X Server 1.0.2_Hera1O9+Loki2G1
5.6________Mac OS X Server 1.2________Pele1Q10

With Mac OS X Developers Preview 1, Apple started a completely different version line that is not related to the line ending with Rhapsody 5.6 (aka Mac OS X Server 1.2).

The name OpenStep was given to the runtime environment within which apps were developed and could then be run under OPENSTEP for Mach, OpenStep Enterprise for Windows and OpenStep Enterprise for Solaris. Also NeXT and Sun developed a replacement for CDE in Solaris (2.4-2.5) called OpenStep Solaris (versions 1.0 and 1.1) which had a GUI like OPENSTEP but run on top of the SunOS rather than Mach. When Apple bought NeXT OPENSTEP became Rhapsody and OpenStep became Yellow Box (which later became Cocoa).

Éric Lévénez did a very good job on that family tree of UNIX, but it has quite a few errors in it. For our topic, the most notable would be the fact that his tree shows a direct path from Mac OS X Server 1.2 to Mac OS X Server 10.0.3. These are not related directly, Mac OS X Server 1.2 is the end of the Rhapsody product line, Mac OS X Server 10.0.3 is Mac OS X 10.0.3 with a suite of server apps applied to it. Also some libs/apps in the Rhapsody line were based on libs/apps from OpenBSD, but he fail to make a connection showing this (like he did for FreeBSD).

Another area that he made a miss step was in the version history of IRIX. IRIX 5.1 led to IRIX 6.0/6.1, IRIX 5.3 led to IRIX 6.2 on. The only way to know this is to have spent time working with IRIX (which I have).

Like I said, he did a great job considering all the information he was able to put together.

i think hazmat and BSDimwit were asking about xwindows window managers based on NeXTSTEP. it is called AfterStep. it is a window manager for X that attempts to clone the look and behaviour of the frontend of NeXTSTEP. as far as i know, afterstep should run on any machine that can run X. so: linux, darwin, solaris, you get the idea...

I was confused as to what folks actually meant when mentioning openstep or nextstep. I knew that window managers like Windowmaker and Afterstep were derivations of Nextstep but I was not sure if it was just another window manager I hadn't seen(ie. commercial) or if it was some old apple operating system code word, like Jaguar, or chicago(win 95)...

Thanks everyone, I understand now.

Last I heard they were trying to make a replacement for Adobe's Display Postscript using Ghostscript. Sounded like a good idea, though they should see if they could use the Display PDF Apple came up with instead.

Back