Is my LaCie CDR dead?

macuser4life

Registered
I have one question after trying to make my burner work, and almost corrupting my system in the process: is it time to replace my old LaCie CDR? I own an external SCSI LaCie CDR (SONY CD-R CDU926S) 2x burn drive. It is attached to an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in my G4 400 AGP Model. In OS X 10.1.3 Toast Ti will not recognize the drive. Since the Sony drive is not MMC standard El Gato's helper does not apply. I tried every possible set-up: with just the 2906 driver that came with OS X (v 1.0.0), with just the beta 2906 driver (v 1.0.2), and with the beta 2906 driver/el gato helper combo (did not know until later online research that my drive is not MMC). Now, in 9.2.2 Toast Ti 5.1.2 recognizes and burns perfectly. So, my second question is this:

When adaptec finally gets around to being a good support company, and gets a solid driver/powerdomain package released, will SCSI burning to this drive still be supported by OS X, Toast TI 5.1.2, or both? Is the main reason it is not being recognized because of the 2906 driver, or is it becuase ther is a lack of support from somewhere else? Thanks ahead of time!

It's pretty much a toss-up whether your SCSI drive will ever be fully supported. Apple has all but given up on SCSI support, so I wouldn't have any hopes there. Your best bet would be to email Roxio and see if they are planning on supporting that drive.

Regardless, you should concider upgrading since SCSI is on it's way out in the eyes of Apple.

I have the same problem with my drive, however documentation in ToastTi 5.1.4 says the drive is supported.

Jaguar can read audio disks from my cdr via scsi but ToastTi 5.1.4 can't even see the drive and I don't know where it scans because it doesn't find a thing!

My guess is that the 2930U's firmware needs an update, scsi can't be that bad, it's booting my osx partition afterall!

I tell you what though, the new yamaha crw-f1 (firewire) looks very tempting and incorporates built-in label etching too!

Back