Is nobody else disappointed with MWSF?

slo

Registered
I'm sure they will be releasing a few more goodies in January (Super Bowl maybe?), but this was among the more diappointing MW in my recent memory.

I know..... I know..... Steve can't always pull a rabbit out of his hat, but I think it especially angered me to hear all the zealots/Apple plants hooting an hollaring on Steve's every word. It just isn't that amazing!

I love Mac, but expect a lot for this love. I'm high maintenance I guess!

slo

The iPod minis are too expensive, and there wasn't much else to rave about, apart from GarageBand. I'm probably just annoyed that I had to stay at work because my car broke down though. We can't expect stunning new G5's at every expo though.

Nope, it's just you. The rest of us loved it. ;)

I think the biggest announcements from this expo were the G5 Xserve and Garage Band. The Xserve is just an "It's about time" kind of thing, but Garage Band really got my attention. I'd love that program, especially if I had a way of getting quality sound into my Mac (I play drums, so the guitar effects aren't of much use to me... and I can't plug my drums in).

The iPod Mini failed to impress me, as I've hinted many times today. When he announced it, I wanted to like it, but... well... it's just not enough for too much.

I was hopeing for Airport Extreme to be upgraded to 108Mbps.

Netgear already produce 108Mbps cards and routers for PC's, so why is Airport Extreme so much slower????

bookem said:
The iPod minis are too expensive, and there wasn't much else to rave about, apart from GarageBand. I'm probably just annoyed that I had to stay at work because my car broke down though. We can't expect stunning new G5's at every expo though.
We got the G5 Xserve... is that not stunning enough?

is it just me.. or did every1 else hear Steve say that great things are coming this year ???
its 20th anniversary and we are going to see great things.. they all cant be ready by january...
but 2004 will be very interesting:)

Given this is the first time I've had a real chance to watch a MacWorld keynote, I was quite entertained, simply because there was plenty in there for me.

But, as media event for media journalists, I can see why some would be disappointed.

But, what the author of the above article does allude to is the new focus for Apple to spread their special announcements across the year rather than clumping them all into one two-hour event.

bookem said:

I am not too sure about GarageBand... there are no specs stated on the Apple Website... this means, no idea, whatsoever, on the software sampler/groove maker/digital audio recording that you are buying! But darn! The Jam Pack sounds sweet with 2000 loops! I get that for FREE with next issue of Future Music! (Feb edition).

Sigh... what is happening here? Dang...

The Apple site doesn't really give much detail about GarageBand. If it had AU support of some kind, it would be really, really cool.

I must say that 90nm G5's are good news on the PowerBook front, GarageBand sounds fun and the price is amazing, the much maligned and underrated miniPods are great. I'm definitely going to get iLife '04 as soon as available and I am going to wait a bit for the first price drop on miniPods and get one. They exactly fit my needs, a bigger one would be unneccessary for me and the silver colored one matches my 12" PB ... the world's crowded, think small!

Gotta agree on this one. $249 for 4 gig vs $299 for 15 gig? Who wouldn't pay the extra $50 for the extra 11 gig? No sense at all.

John
homepage.mac.com/johnselvia/

slo said:
I think it especially angered me to hear all the zealots/Apple plants hooting an hollaring on Steve's every word.

Well, except when he was going on about the new speia effect in iPhoto: nobody seemed interested in that!

sepia filter isn't that new invention. i've used it forever.. making it manually, like it would look.

i think the office 2004 will be a big thing. not for many of us here maybe, many are used and like the life without microsoft - but there are many people who could be thinking of a mac, and whose major concern now is if they can get office for it. if it helps to get more market share for macs, great.

the office note thing looks very good. im used to notepads (or e.g. notes.app) and making very short notes .. instead of writeing down everything, jsut the keypoints. that can save much more time than the note thing if you dont know how to make short notes. im afraid i'll see one day a word document with 20 GB of mp3s in hte notes though.. :)

garymum4d said:
I was hopeing for Airport Extreme to be upgraded to 108Mbps.

Netgear already produce 108Mbps cards and routers for PC's, so why is Airport Extreme so much slower????

Because "Super G" which Netgear is selling is proprietary, it is not yet an industry standard. The only products right now that can use "Super G" are based on one companies chipset. 802.11b and 802.11g are both open standards that have been approved by the IEEE. I for one actaully like Apple likes to use standardized technologies, and tend to wait till either the specification is finished, or in it's final draft form (Airport Extreme came out before the final 802.11g spec was published, but was based on drafts, and was upgradable to whatever the final spec came out to be if it was different then the drafts). Right now there really isn't enough to go one way or another on if "Super G" will become a standard. It could be that other companies have something faster in the works, and they'd rather wait for that to become a standard.

Brian

not only was i dissappointed with the announcements, i was even more disappointed in the experience. i just got back from this year's day at MWSF and it was pitiful. Registration was sponsered by m$ so that gives you some idea how crappy the procedure for getting in was for starts.

much fewer exhibitors. smaller booths all the way around. fewer freebies. nothing notably new except lots of booths selling ipod accesories. there was tons of ipod crap there. sorry, i'm just not an ipod person. even the gaming area and internet cafe were about hal size from the previous 2 years.

pitiful, just pitiful.

Geez, Ed, you're bringing me down here! I'm going to take BART over to SF tomorrow for the exhibits, but I don't know if I want to as much now! Oh well, at least the only cost will be transportation and food, thanks to that free pass from OWC.

While there was nothing there for me to be particularly interested in, I thought it was solid. Apple's pace on software development and updates seems speedier than ever. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sure seems like there is a constant barrage of new software and updates. Bring it on!

People are complaining about the iPod minis. Those complainers clearly aren't that product's audience then. That product will prove to be a winner. Mark my words.

Xserve. Perfect. 90 nm and everything. Gee, I wonder what's around the corner for the desktops. Not speed bumps and 90 nm...nahh.

Garage Band. Classic Apple style. I use CuBase, but I might get GarageBand just for fun and comping. CuBase can be so finicky.

Updated iLife. Criminy, those apps are the real deal these days. With the improved encoder in iDVD, I'm switching back from DVDSP for client demo DVDs to iDVD. It's just plain easier and faster. Brilliant.

FCE2. Nice. Brings in more to the FCP crowd. I'll stick to the big gun, FCP 4, but FCE2 is no slouch by any means.

----------

I'm holding out for that 3 GHZ G5 that Steve promised. On that glorious day, Visa will be very happy. Until then, keep trickling the goods. Nice job, Apple.

Back