Is Norton's Antivirus Safe?

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
Okay, a while back I remember having problems with Norton's, and I remember other people had the same issues. Something about it creating more problems than solving them?

Can I please get a confirmation on this as I seriously need some antivirus software. If it's not safe, can you reccommend some programs that are trustworthy?

Thanks1

There's always the open source antivirus ClamXav. I use it on my iMac G5 and it works great. It now has a sentry that you can set to actively scan any folder or file that you set to it. I have it pointing to my home folder on my iMac since most of my stuff resides there.

Personally, I would stay away from anything that Norton puts out for OS X.

I would concur that Nortons causes more trouble than it solves. At present, there are no viruses on the Mac. There are a couple of legitimate antivirus products such as Norton's, Virex and ClamAV.

I'd still say all of these are pointless and come from the insecure, Windows-generated mentality that "viruses will get into your system. You need this tool to search for them and remove them" which is a bit like saying "thieves will break into your car, so you need this baseball bat to go in there every day and chase them out". :rolleyes:

It is a mentality that I find offensive and stupid since there is a whole industry that has sprung up around giving computer users a false sense of security. And the idea that any of these tools can simply "clean" or "fix" a system is simply insulting.

Of the three I mentioned, Norton's is the one I'd avoid the most because of the number of ways in which it hooks into the system, scanning everything in "real time" as it is written to the hard drive. This is intended to be more thorough, but in essence it just means that it can easily screw up your system.

Virex is another commercial one and I mention it because most IT departments will accept it - I'd assume you're only asking because your IT manager or boss has insisted you have antivirus software. Virex runs as a simple scan of files and searches for a selection of known Windows viruses that could, concievably, be found on a Mac. It never finds any, unless you've been letting Windows users store files on your Mac server, but it does do what it claims to do.

ClamAV is a free open-source scanner with a very comprehensive database and fast updates. I recommend it highly.

I just re-read this thread but it didn't really cover what I want to know. In am using Norton Utilities 8.0 and wanted to know if there is a later version suitable for osx 10.3.9 and later. I had, up to about a year ago, been subscribing to MaAfee for my anti-virus needs.

Any opinions and suggestions?

Thanks for the quick reply guys, nixgeek and symphonix. For the record, admittedly many years ago, I had stopped updating my anti-virus software and one day found that I was badly infected with a Trojan which cost me a lot in time and money! So I guess for me it's a case of 'once bitten twice shy'. I should mention that the purpose of using Norton Utilities 8.0 is to help me clean up and re-configure my hard drive. Is there another solution out there? Thanks for your advice.

If you want to perform system maintenance on your Mac, Onyx is a very useful tool. It's also free, just like ClamXav.

Really, Norton is not one of the best applications for the Mac and hasn't been so for years now since Apple has moved to OS X. They used to be great in Classic Mac OS (9.x and below), but all that changed once OS X came along.

As for your virus incident, was this on a Mac or Windows computer. I had been bitten many years ago on a Windows computer because I was foolish to run Windows at the time without any antivirus. Of course, I know better now and am quite used to securing my computers so I wouldn't be so quick to run an antivirus on my own personal Windows PC if I didn't want to. However, it's still rather risky what with sites that actively push out malware over browsers. Regardless, it's rather moot for me since I don't run Windows much anymore other than for testing purposes at work. At home (with the exception of my wife's laptop), I'm either running Macs or PCs with GNU/Linux. The only Mac running an antivirus app is my iMac G5 running ClamXav. My GNU/Linux PCs are fine without them (since I don't run as root).

I'm happy to admit to being a die-hard mac user. The virus incident happened on my mac 7200 using OS7.xx I think.

As for your info, thank you! I'll source clamXav and Onyx. Regards
Dennis

I'm happy to admit to being a die-hard mac user. The virus incident happened on my mac 7200 using OS7.xx I think.

As for your info, thank you! I'll source clamXav and Onyx. Regards
Dennis

Very true about the System 6 and 7 days. I remember getting hit with one on an old Mac SE years ago at my college's MIDI Lab. Wiped out the floppy I was using for some MIDI sequencing. Hard lesson to learn, but it was learned (at least on the Mac side :p).

Even still, most of the viruses in the System 6 and 7 world weren't as prominent as one would think. And if we did want to run some sort of free antivirus, Disinfectant was it. Looks as though ClamXav has taken that claim in the OS X world. :)

We are going to update and get my son a new iMac soon, current model, and was wondering; because the new drives are Intel does this mean they will be more susceptible to viruses?

Thanks again

The change of processor doesn't affect whether you get viruses or not. Many people thought this when Apple moved to Intel. It's all about the software. This is why you still find many viruses on Windows regardless of whether you're running an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU or a VIA CPU. If it's running Windows, it's going to be affected by the same amount of viruses regardless of the CPU brand.

However, notice that the issue with viruses is about the same on a Mac regardless of whether it's a PowerPC processor or an Intel processor (and it still isn't much). Though most developers would probably be more familiar with the Intel architecture than the PowerPC processor, I think this makes more of a difference when dealing with low-level programming languages. However, for most higher-level programming languages the CPU, although still important, is not as much of a deciding factor as the software it's being run on.

Hopefully I hit this on the mark....if not, someone please correct me. :p

Back