is OS X Cable Modem / DHCP compatable?

webman2k

Registered
I heard from a freind that you can't use a cable modem (which uses a DHCP server) on OS X Beta. This is the only thing stopping me from getting the beta for my home machine. Does anyone know a workaround for this? Please help! Thanks :)

Originally posted by webman2k
I heard from a freind that you can't use a cable modem (which uses a DHCP server) on OS X Beta. This is the only thing stopping me from getting the beta for my home machine. Does anyone know a workaround for this? Please help! Thanks :)

Mac OS X Public Beta seems to work with DHCP, at least most of the time. I use DHCP with Shaw's @Home service here in Victoria, Canada.

I had a few problems with DNS lookups a couple of weeks ago after I installed BrickHouse (a firewall program), but a re-install cured that. :) I'd say go for it!

Krishen

i have a dvse with X on it... i use 3com with cable modem and have a second iMac with os9 connected via a 10baseT hub...the appleshare via ip even works.

go for it... you shouldn't have any problems with DHCP.

Thanks for your responses guys. I'd feel even better if someone said they use Optimum Online and it works fine.....

Originally posted by webman2k
Thanks for your responses guys. I'd feel even better if someone said they use Optimum Online and it works fine.....

Do you mean on Long Island?

If so, then I would advise against. I've had a terrible time trying to get it to work with OptOnline. The tech support is useless and doesn't know anything about anything non-Windows.

I tried for about 2 weeks, and even had a techie friend who knows all sorts of Unix over. We just could not get it to work.

I finally gave up and am back surfing the web under OS 9!

I talked to an apple rep, and he confirmed to me that it would be best to wait.

good luck!

Thanks alot for the warning. I really appreciate the response. I guess I'll wait for the full version, or maybe the next beta...

wow! they sound terrible.

i'm on rcn here in chicago... they seem real cool. a bit pricey... but the service has been gound.

oh, theres nothing wrong woth the service, it's fast as all hell, and I've never been dropped. It's just that their tech support has no experience with macs, so asking them if it could be configured on os x would be a waste of time.

Back