Is RealOne for OS X spyware?

onegoodpenguin

i am fish.
When I saw this same concern mirrored on another thread, I thought it necessary to bring to the forefront... When I heard about RealOne being made available for our favorite state-of-the-art OS, I was pretty happy (I'm sick of having to load classic whenever I want to check out music in .rm format...), but I can't help but wonder what kind of spyware Real has hidden under the hood of this beast. If anyone can help speculate or shed light on this topic, I'd be grateful. I'm looking forward to installing this software but I want to be sure before I go ahead and do it. With many PCs the spyware portion isn't easily removed and is still resident upon uninstallation of the primary software. Thanks.

Matt

I was under the impression that it was hard to create spyware for Mac OS X. I don't know for sure though.
-Doofy

it isn't as extensive as PC's where it can Track the movement of your mouse. if it were i probably logs when you go online (if that)

Of course, the player could easily track what it's doing itself, and create logs of the kind of media viewed, etc. I think that's basically what Real Jukebox did.

On a side note, I can't even imagine why Realplayer still has even the slightest shred of popularity. The video quality is much poorer than current MPEG variants, and the actual player is about as bloated as they come. It would make much more sense for web page administrators to post videos in a decent MPEG format, and save everyone the compatibility issues.

Originally posted by davidbrit2
Of course, the player could easily track what it's doing itself, and create logs of the kind of media viewed, etc. I think that's basically what Real Jukebox did.

On a side note, I can't even imagine why Realplayer still has even the slightest shred of popularity. The video quality is much poorer than current MPEG variants, and the actual player is about as bloated as they come. It would make much more sense for web page administrators to post videos in a decent MPEG format, and save everyone the compatibility issues.

Have you DOWNLOADED and TRIED RealOne yet? I think you said you wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole in another thread, so I asume no...

RealOne for OSX has nothing bloatware about it, it's just the player - that's it! I was suprised that I couldn't find any of the Windows' version's features (playlists, integrated browser, etc.)

And I watched some video at cnet.com that was pretty danged amazing! AT FULL SCREEN!!! Woah!!!! :D

I think it's at par with Quicktime 6 right now, probably a little less "bloatware" than quicktime actually...

But it's currently in beta, so who knows what the final will be like. :p

Well, if they've slimmed it down a little, then it might be usable. Generally the sneaky features of the Windows version are built into all of the obnoxious bells and whistles. If they've just got a harmless little video player now, then I might give it a try sometime.

Back