Is the desktop dead?

bames53

Registered
OS opinion has a story about the death of the desktop. is it really dead or is it just microsoft that killed it with its terrible implimentation?

And what do you think of apple's desktop, past and present?

of all OS's who does it best?

Of all the OS's out there (past & present), no OS did the Desktop better than the classic Mac OS (1-9). It's completely transparent and the end user never really knows that the desktop is just another folder that the OS props up as a root for files and aliases.

OS X's implementation is probably the next best thing. But since it's a multi user system, it has to accomplish it differently than how the classic Mac OS does. Not quite as transparent, but good enough that most users will never know the difference.

Windows desktop has evolved quite a bit since Win95, but it's still not quite as flexible or as easy to manage as the Mac.

What the heck are these guys talking about?

It starts off as some sort of continuation of this article: http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/14166.html

The basic idea behind that one is that desktop systems and laptops will give way to PDAs, set top boxes, etc.

But this article talks about how the desktop metaphor is outdated. It's knocking the way file systems are usually laid out (folders in folders that have files or whatever).

It seems like his biggest knock is that he doesn't like the way you store files on the desktop (desktop meaning the screen behind the apps, not the hardware).

I don't see how Microsoft could have killed this. I really don't see much difference between the way that windows keeps files on the desktop and the way OSX does it.

Anyway, the entire discussion isn't very interesting to me. I'd rather read an article that compares the CPU schedulers, kernel extensions, memory managers, filesystems, etc. than another dumb knock on the color of a button or the picture of the hard disk on my screen.

Back