Is the internet going slower?

Ever since i started using mac os x, I noticiced that the internet is much slower. Normally I could download at about 80k to 90k on my DSL, now I barely get 40k!!! Has anoyone else noticed this with their broadband connections? Is the internet just slowing down now with all the fast connections out there?
Thanx

I found something that could be my problem, but I dont know how to fix it: When I booted up my computer holding 's' so that i could fix my hd, I saw something that said that ethernet was running at half duplex...... Could this be my problem? How could I set it to full duplex? Please help.

I found that when using OS X programs... Expecially macster that downloads in OS X are a LOT faster than OS 9.

I have an Ethernet connection to University network. I've seen speeds increase from around 100k/s up to 200-300k/s.

[Edited by mtc7501 on 11-06-2000 at 01:17 PM]

Originally posted by mtc7501
I found that when using OS X programs... Expecially macster that downloads in OS X are a LOT faster than OS 9.
I belive this is usually the case with PPP (dial up users) under os x..... Are you using broadband or dial up? And how much faster are you going?

I have a cable modem and I've seen my download speeds increase two-fold. I'm constantly seeing download speeds about 100K, where on 9 I was getting around 45K.

I also saw a slowdown in OS X with Explorer
and Omniweb too (56k modem connection). I
first found a mention of "ramdisk" in NetBSD.
A reference was made to /tmp being placed
in RAM rather than disk. I selected
/private/tmp for my cache files in Explorer.
This seems to speed up browsing quite a bit.
I also replaced the init string in the
AppleInternalModel56k with a proper init string
for my modem (Zoom 56k External Dual Mode). The
speed is still not as fast as Explorer 4.5
in Mac OS 9, but it is a big improvement.

Personally I've had a FANTASTIC time w/ OmniWeb and X with my cable modem - page loading is a LOT faster and more concurrent - the whole page displays at once rather than steadily loading in ... and it does it MUCH faster.

On another note, has anyone networked a X box with any other type of box? like "classic" mac or Linux? I'm setting up a TurboLinux server and wondered if anyone had any horrible experiences w/ that.

Thanks!

thedbp

I have my G4 hooked up to 1000BaseT and have measured 22MB/second transferring files from a local file server using command line ftp under OSX.

The same transfer using fetch in classic mode only does 1MB/sec.

I find that the classic web browsers are much slower than the OSX native web browsers.

-gtb

Originally posted by gtb
I find that the classic web browsers are much slower than the OSX native web browsers.

Could it be that classic and carbon apps are the problems or just apps run under classic? Classic is very slow, so i would not be surprised if things also get downloaded slower under classic (in fact, I tested it, and it seems downloads are much slower under classic). I don't have a cocoa apps to test if they download any faster than carbon apps. Could it be that carbon apps are just slower? maby mac os x is just slower? An explanation or possible solution would help!
Thanx!

Back