Is the New Imac a silence machine?

alito

Mac fan
I want to buy the new imac (700mhz-combodrive)
and i want to know if it is very silence like the G4 CUBE is, or if it is more silence.
Also i want to know if the imac have a good performance using internet.
And if it is a good machine to buy.
i will buy it next week.
thanxs

I really don't know too much about them in that regard aside from what I see from the tech specs. The iMac has a fan, whereas the cube does not. I imagine that the iMac will have some more sound than the cube did but I hear a lot of people exalting them for being quieter than the original iMac. hope that helps.

Mine is not as quiet as I would like it to be. I was quite shocked when I heard how noisy it was. The hard drive is not what makes the noise. It is that darn fan!

Quieter than the original iMac? I'd be suprised at that, frankly. Although, the optical drives in G3 iMacs is really quite loud, maybe that's the difference. Aside from that, the only noise is the HD, and if that spins down they make no noise at all.

The new iMac has a fan, yes. In the computer store where I saw one, you couldn't hear it except by putting your ear near it, but then it was surrounded by PCs with two or three louder fans apiece...

for home, and I am impressed by it's quietness! Even occassionally check to see if its on when I'm away from it. Compared to my work G4, it is very quiet.

It has a slight hum, but no more than any other appliance in the house (except the refrigerator, and definately not as loud as our boiler, anyone know a good plumber?)

The only noisy part is the CD drive.;)

Originally posted by scruffy
Quieter than the original iMac? I'd be suprised at that, frankly.

The original iMac is actually loud as 'ell.
My G4, with 2 fans and 2 HDs is much quieter.

Originally posted by ksv
The original iMac is actually loud as 'ell.
My G4, with 2 fans and 2 HDs is much quieter.

Really? Where does it get all its noise from? It doesn't have fans, does it?

The machine is pretty quiet; the SuperDrive, as anyone can tell you, is far from quiet. Think G4 Cube with a slight hum most of the time and a jet engine every once in a while, and you'll have the idea.

Originally posted by scruffy

Really? Where does it get all its noise from? It doesn't have fans, does it?

I mean the original iMac. The first one ;)
It has a fan, and because of it's poor internal design, the sound from the fan is reflected against the chassis and makes an infernal noise.

I use a Toshiba Satellite 2620/475/32/4.3 for www.macosx.com and I don't use my Performa 5260/120/12/1.2 . I have also a 460/33/12/160. For music I am trying to emulate the Apples on a "bankrupt" Compaq "MIDI-HP" and the Satellite is close to iMac because the fan isn't working most of the time. I have ordened once a fanless iMac www.easyware.be and it doesn't is there (13 in stock). They are selling here(www.pcwarehouse.com) a classic macintosh and I guess it is worth "90€" because you can buy you a Pentium 133/32/540 with Windows Me for this money and in the shop in Leuven there is also a fanless iMac. Not wasting my post counts I can add that you can buy in place of the Xserver a Sun Blade 100 for the same money as an iMac and that a P4 computer from Dell is cheaper today than iMac.
Have a nice day!
Hervé

Anybody wanna translate Herve's post for me?

The iMac is quiet, but if you put a CD into it the table starts shaking

memories of my mother doing the vacuuming whilst I was asleep (11am-onwards) during my teenage years!:eek:

Back