is the Rev B iMac what you had hoped for?

yanges

MacHead
i do not know about you, but the Rev B iMac had all the upgrades i had hoped for as well as a few surprises like the Airport express and Bluetooth included...

with the 2.0ghz processor, Radeon 9600 XT video card w/ 128mb ram, 8x superdrive and larger standard hard drive as well as the 667mb bus on the top two models along with Tiger OS installed, that made up my mind to get one and i will be getting it as soon as i can get some $ together!! :D

the one thing i was hoping for but not really expecting was an alternate case color...

i would really like the case to be black or dark graphite color myself...

but all in all, the 20" model is really nice and i look forward to owning one soon!! :cool:

Definitely a near perfect consumer machine.

Only changes I would make:

• 23" version
  • Make the "chin" a bit smaller
  • Two button (or more) Apple mouse :)
A black case would also be very nice. Maybe it's possible to have an iMac colorised like the iPods? Don't know how much that would cost, if it's even possible.

Kap

yanges said:
i do not know about you, but the Rev B iMac had all the upgrades i had hoped for as well as a few surprises like the Airport express and Bluetooth included...

with the 2.0ghz processor, Radeon 9600 XT video card w/ 128mb ram, 8x superdrive and larger standard hard drive as well as the 667mb bus on the top two models along with Tiger OS installed, that made up my mind to get one and i will be getting it as soon as i can get some $ together!! :D

the one thing i was hoping for but not really expecting was an alternate case color...

i would really like the case to be black or dark graphite color myself...

but all in all, the 20" model is really nice and i look forward to owning one soon!! :cool:

there is a company which does color on the imacs. you can either send in your own, or get a standard config from their online store.. in annother colour of course..
i just can't remember the name or where to find the store..

alex.

I love the new iMac, it makes me wanna trade in my eMac for a 17" 2.0ghz.

I think apple have made all their new desktops white (besides pm g5) because its simple. And apple are the best example of simple computing so thats why they use white. Also from a colour point, white goes with anything basically :)

One question i have why didn't apple make a dual 4ghz powermac since now they have single 2.0ghz ?

As far as I can tell it's the Radeon 9600 not the XT model...

It is a really great consumer machine, but I was really hoping the top model would be a little beefier (like a DV model)...

It's nearly perfect, but I really see no reason to limit the FSB to 667mhz... and the 9600 video card is sufficient to run video editing and hd material but not 'recommended'... Factor in the usual slower than spec performance of the iMac and emac lines...and basically this machine wouldn't really be the right choice if you wanted to do any real video editing.

With the ho-hum update to the powermac line, I was hoping that the top of the line imac would be enough to get me to buy and hold me over til they come out with a real update for the PM.

Granted my expectations were definitely set too high... but I do think there would be room for a limited edition iMac with suped-up features in the matrix. I'd love an excuse to not waste my money on a new PM... as you really know that they're built on mature technology needing update.

apples basically sayin - if you wanna do PRO editing... get their pro desktop - powermac. the iMac has always been their consumer product.

smithy said:
One question i have why didn't apple make a dual 4ghz powermac since now they have single 2.0ghz ?

That's because they are having trouble scaling CPU speed past 2.7 GHz. The current max speed of the G5 is the max speed they can achieve. All CPU manufacturers are hitting limits of some sort when ramping up CPU speed.

Hence the move to making dual-core processors. Keeping the clock speed, but still improving the performance.

i think the clourware stuff looks really tacky - like a pimp-my-ride version of an imac. gold furry dice hanging from the top of the foot and everything

alexandr said:
there is a company which does color on the imacs. you can either send in your own, or get a standard config from their online store.. in annother colour of course..
i just can't remember the name or where to find the store..

alex.

they do colorization here:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=34

looks really nice!!

but $500+ for color when ordering an iMac is way too steep for me!

but they do only charge $399 for the skin and sell stuff for PB's and other mac stuff! :confused:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=16

suddenly, white looks really nice! :D

Lt Major Burns said:
apples basically sayin - if you wanna do PRO editing... get their pro desktop - powermac. the iMac has always been their consumer product.

agreed... but with one or two minor changes, the iMac would be close enough for someone on the fence about his wants/needs. Fast enough to tinker with pro editing without the beach ball.

there's nothing to complain about with the iMac, I was looking for something to latch on to as I don't think the current 2.0 PM is a good investment for expandability in the 3-5 year window that I normally keep my macs...

looking for an all too perfect price point, as the real PM update hasn't really happened yet.

the imac has been there consumer product in the past. now with the g5 it's crossed over. it is very capable of rivalling the power desktops. especially with the 20" screeen... like my pm... and now 20ghz and the high-end-ish radeon (again same as mine...)

Well it comes with 512MB of RAM now...and standard bluetooth/wireless, and i do want a Mac Desktop, and a PowerMac G5 the way i want it is over $4000, and the way i want an iMac is 1890...RAM is cheaper and easy to install. If i wasn't moving and had more space, i'd order one right now, lol.

I expect an HD iMac very soon, 1900x1200 screen (20" or 23").
or even 17" like the Dell Inspiron XPS

Back