Is There a Good PC Forum?

Mat

iSmell
Hey

I was wondering if there is a decent PC forum similar to this one. My mum has just got a PC laptop and it's having some problems, so I need some help from people who know PCs.

I'll tell you guys the problem, just in case someone knows the solution. The PC came with Norton AntiVirus 2004 pre-installed. I have just got Norton SystemWorks 2005 and tried to install it, however AntiVirus 2004 refuses to be uninstalled. The SystemWorks installer must unistall AntiVirus 2004 to go ahead with the install. AntiVirus 2004 just won't go away. I have tried to unistall it using 'Add/Remove Programs' and it just won't be deleted. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Mat

You need to make sure that Norton Antivirus 2004 (NAV2004) isn't running. Check the system tray, the bit next to the clock at the lower right corner and make sure that NAV2004 isn't running. If it is, just right click and quit it. That should allow you to remove NAV2004.

Actually if the application is still running you should get a message like: application still active. Please close all open sessions and proceed with the uninstall-routine.
However, in my dark years I faced many problems with apps that didn't want to be uninstalled. In that case there is only one dirty way to do it. Click on "Start" and pick "Run...". Type 'msconfig' to enter something similar like the Startup items menu in macosx. One of the last tabs should show some sort of autostart items. Look for any norton related entry and click away the tick. Now reboot but don't get afraid of a warning telling, that you changed some stuff in the startup routine. Go to your application folder and delete everything that is related to norton. You will leave some .dll files in other folders and some registry entries still will be resident, but once you install SystemWorks 2005 all those sensitive files will be overwritten.
Good luck!

Viro said:
That is so archaic. Makes me glad I'm on OS X :).

Don't you reeeeaaally mean Debian on your PowerBook??? :p ::ha::
(You got me good on that one :p)

Viro said:
I've got an iBook with OS X on it :). I do Debian on my Powerbook.

I saw your response on that other thread about Linux on your PowerBook. I guess I was fooled twice...shame on me. :rolleyes: :)

BTW, are you getting any accelerated 3D from the graphics chipset? Which is the chipset on your PowerBook if you are getting 3D acceleration?

None of the Powerbooks get 3D acceleration. I've got a nVidia GeForce fx5200 Go in my PB 12". No acceleration since nVidia aren't releasing drivers or specifications. The PB 15" and 17" don't have acceleration either, since only Radeons up to 9200 have acceleration.

Why use msconfig? Start up in safe mode and uninstall there, where all good uninstallations occur.

Oh, and www.protonic.com offers free tech support if you are ever looking for help with PC matters.

Viro said:
None of the Powerbooks get 3D acceleration. I've got a nVidia GeForce fx5200 Go in my PB 12". No acceleration since nVidia aren't releasing drivers or specifications. The PB 15" and 17" don't have acceleration either, since only Radeons up to 9200 have acceleration.

Is that including the RADEON 9200?? I've been thinking about getting a PCI version for my StarMax.

Sorry for going a bit off topic....just PM me Viro if you know the answer.

Thanks everyone for your input. Unfortunately, I've tried everything you've suggested but nothing has worked. I still cannot get rid of Norton Anti-Virus.

Plus I am now having problems with Windows Installer, it just won't install anything.

PCs are so annoying.

Another solution could be end norton related processes from task manager, click Ctrl+Alt+Canc, they should look as nav*... but I'm quite sure that norton AV can be uninstalled normally from the Add/Remove Programs control panel... check if it's possible to use a sort of system restore from the xp installation cd...

another great forum, which uses this same basic setup, is TechSupportForum.com . funny, i found it first, then went looking for a good mac one, and found this!
anyway, as far as norton goes, deselecting it in msconfig should do it, then reboot in safemode, bring up windows task manager, kill any processes left running by norton, then try the uninstaller or if installing the other one will delete the older one, go that way. if none of that works, bug the guys at norton. they made this mess, and they should fix it.

windowsxpforums.com is a good site. IT has been redirected though, because Microsoft didn't want them to have 'windows' in the URL. Just follow the URL and it'll redirect.

Back