Is there a "one more thing..."? What could it be?

Whats the "one more thing..."?

• Remodeled and speed-bumped cube

• The infamous PDA

• Quad Processor G4's

• "the son of pismo" (larger screened iBook)

• airport 2

• Tablet Computer

• OS X two times the speed of 9, with full capabilities (DVD, quick window resizing)

• Superdrives in the iMacs

• of course, the LCD iMac

• Longshot: The game console.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Matrix Agent

Masochist Mascot
(Caution: Wild Specualtion Ahead)

So does SJ have an extra surprise up his sleeve?
Use this thread to put down both your educated guesses and your random speculation. I'm curious to see what you think will be coming out.

oh yeah, this poll will time out before SJ take sthe stage, so we'll be able to see how close everyone is.

It's a fact 'o' life: OS X 10.1 will be there, dispite what all the other sites are saying. It has to be; if it isn't, Seve can't put it on all the new Macs (default boot), and if it isn't default on the new Macs, it's not OS X's 'Coming Out Party', is it? If it isn't, everyone will be very, very disapointed.

Why does everyone assume that OSX can't ship default until 10.1? Or, OSX won't be usable until 10.1? Or that an optimized finder along with DVD support won't be in any other build than 10.1? Sheesh! Let it be 10.0.5 that has all this stuff! I'm in favor of NOT skipping revision numbers :)

Originally posted by zaustin
Why does everyone assume that OSX can't ship default until 10.1? Or, OSX won't be usable until 10.1? Or that an optimized finder along with DVD support won't be in any other build than 10.1? Sheesh! Let it be 10.0.5 that has all this stuff! I'm in favor of NOT skipping revision numbers :)

I assume that X won't be default until 10.1 because Apple would get horrible reviews from everybody if Macs were suddenly 10 times slower. And that wouldn't help the widely held belief that a Mac 733MHz is much slower than a PIII 900MHz.

When you jump version numbers, it means the upgrades are much more significant. That's why Mac OS X isn't called Mac OS 9.1.1 (or Mac OS 9.1.00000001 lol;)).

Completely off the topic: to Mr. mac x

how well does yopur external drive handle? 10gb drives make me cry. But the price on internal 20 gb drives makes me cry more.

I got it for $225 us, but there was a deal at CompUSA; it was normally $300. It's not as quick as I though FireWire to be, but I had never used FW before. I would recommend it, but in the future I would look for a smaller one with a lower price (I have it partitioned three ways: 10GB for Mac OS 9 only, 10GB for a backup, and 20GB free!). It's nice to not have to care about what you save (I'm downloading the MW '99 video right now, but if I didn't have the Maxtor, I wouldn't have room).

2h before keynote, here is my guessing:
-Cube: 5% Apple would not have stopped it to reintroduce it so soon after
-PDA: 40% Possible, but dont expect it so soon
-G4x4: 30% Would go well with the "OSX" party, but doubt they have enough G4's available
-Son of Pismo: 20% Simply too soon after a major update
-AirPort 2: 40% Unverified, but a good possiblity. Would do nicely as a "one more thing"
-Tablet Computer: 30% Could take many different forms though
-Puma: 70%: thats what we are waiting for arent we?
-SuperDrives in iMacs: 5% Lol, and a 21-inch flat screen and a G4 for less than 1000$? Available in 2005...
-LCD iMac: 50% The big question!
-Game Console: 5% I'll be very annoyed if Apple entered the console market at such a time...

The % indicate anoncement at MWNY, not necessarly as the "one more thing..."... They refer to annoncement, not shipping.

Kinniken

well, a sneak preview at iDVD 2, which counts toward nothing...

Of all the things mentioned in the poll, only 10.1 appeared in the keynote, and its shipping in september... which count as a miss as the whole question was wherever it would ship on time =(
I'm very dispaointed there I have to say... we have to wait for puma, the new G4 are just speed-bumbed, and so are the new iMacs... which are not even realy cheaper than the old one were, for a pretty modest performance increase =/
God, those iMacs wont sell. Hope for Apple the Flat-screen ones are just around the corner.

Kinniken

I agree, I am pretty disappointed with the show. :confused: :eek: :mad:

Here is the positive I have to say: A G4/733 is now just $1,699. I can really handle that. Just last month it was $3200-$3500.

I really wanted them to have a cheap dual G4 Tower, even a dual 533 at $1699, but it looks like they couldn't justify it, probably due Motorola again. If Mot and Apple could get the chips spec'd and fabbed faster, sooner, and more reliablely, then price and availability of chips would not be an issue. Apple would be able to offer a line up like this:

G4/533/1mb-L2/10GB/128mb/Rage128pro-$1299
dual G4/733/20GB/256mb/Radeon-$2299
quad G4/1Ghz/256mb/GeForce3-$3499

.....that makes the price jump worth it for us (is that 3 different motherboards to build?).......
....does that low-end G4 tower cut into the imac sales? If so, then price the imacs like this:

G3/500/10Gb/128mb/Rage128 - $799
G3/600/20Gb/256mb/RageUltra - $1099
G3/700/40Gb/256mb/RageUltra - $1399

......it gives Mac users a choice.......get a speedy cheap all-in-one imac that isn't expandable or they can a low end G4 tower that is expandable and has altivec. hmmmm?

-------
And what about the dual upgrade chips from Apple, buy a single G4/733 now and add a second 733 chip later. In the PC world a lot of servers and linux PCs have this option.

------
Well anyway.....Here's to hoping for the new UMA-2 motherboard at Seybold and the quad G4 please!!!!! :D

Back