Is there a way to "queue" file transfers between machines?

sgould

Registered
I often do some work on the desktop machine at home. I produce some files that I want to transfer to the iBook. But, at the time I want to do this the iBook may be out of the house with my wife.

Is there some way of storing these files so that they transfer automatically to the laptop when it is back in the house and switched on and linked to the home wifi network? I'm looking for a way for this to happen with out any intervention from anyone on the desktop. Desktop will likely be switched on, but I may not be around to identify the files that need to be moved across.

For example, I was at home in the early evening, worked on the desktop and set up some files to transfer to the laptop to take to the office in the morning. At 7:30 I went out to a meeting and got back late. My wife came home while I was out and used the iBook on the network. Files could have been transferred then, but she would have no idea that there were any files to transfer, or which ones they were.

I had to start up both machines in the morning and do the transfer then.

The only way I can think of doing this is to send the files to my dotmac account and downloading them at work, but sometimes I work in a sub office with no internet link.

How many files are you talking about? seems to me a USB Cruzer drive would be much simpler. You can get up to 4.0 GB (maybe more, but mine 4 GB was the biggest available when I bought the flash drive)

Thanks! I'll have a look at that.

I think a flash drive may be useful, I use other computers from time to time.

Maybe I'll mix and match both...

flash drives are beautiful for such tasks. you could even set up a nice little backuptool to automatically update machine1-flashdrive-machine2.

Back