Is there a way to transfer users from one machine to another

oohhmmm

Registered
Hello there,
I am running postfix and squirelmail on a OSX 10.3.9 server (G4) with about 100 users. I am usingPOP3, IMAP, and the webmail interface.
I am interested in transferring all users, thier usernames and passwords, and their mail from the 10.3.9 server to the new XServe G5 Tiger server. Is this a possibility that is known?
Thanks for your time.

-kelley-

oohhmmm said:
Hello there,
I am running postfix and squirelmail on a OSX 10.3.9 server (G4) with about 100 users. I am usingPOP3, IMAP, and the webmail interface.
I am interested in transferring all users, thier usernames and passwords, and their mail from the 10.3.9 server to the new XServe G5 Tiger server. Is this a possibility that is known?
Thanks for your time.

-kelley-

It is not such a problem moving the mails to the new system. I have a script, which will take of that. Largest part i submitted yesterday to another thread.

For moving files between systems, you can use the SCP command.

If you wish i can submit the full script also, but that will take some time because of some translations which are required.

Moving users i never did, but you can try making a OPEN DIRECTORY duplicate server and syncrhonise the 2 servers. After they are fully synchronised, that the old server offline and the BACKUP should become the master.

THREAD = MAIL SERVER and TIGER.

What i submitted:

I have some information for you:

See document 107996 on the Apple site “www.apple.com/support”.

A script made byu myself to transfer mail between systems:

mv /var/imap /var/imap.old mkdir /var/imap
/usr/bin/cyrus/tools/mkimap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/imap
chown -R cyrusimap:mail /var/spool/imap
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -i
sudo -u cyrusimap /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/cyrus-quota -f

This should make it working from scratch. Normally the correct files will be on your systems after the server installation.

Good luck, Kees

This may sound patronizing but don't you just install it.
I would keep the older version just incase or ask apple :D

Good luck

You can't mix LDAP types between Tiger and Panther, meaning you can't have a Master be a Tiger OD and a replica be a Panther OD.

You can export your users, but that won't preserve passwords, unless you script that in yourself.

You can dump out the contents of your LDAP and PasswordServer and import them. You can find a script written by Joel Rennich over at AFP548.com.

You could take a strong backup, upgrade your Panther OD to Tiger, create a Tiger OD Replica, replicate the data, promote and then discard the original Master box, though I always recommend having at least one replica of the DirectoryService.

Migrating mail is easy between Panther and Tiger. Same tools and projects running it, as well as formats. You literally can move the appropriate files, preserve permissions and you should be a go. Going from pre-Panther (such as 10.2's Apple Mail Server) platforms that didn't use Cyrus and so forth used a different format and require a little more finesse to coax along. :)

Go3iverson said:
Migrating mail is easy between Panther and Tiger. Same tools and projects running it, as well as formats. You literally can move the appropriate files, preserve permissions and you should be a go. Going from pre-Panther (such as 10.2's Apple Mail Server) platforms that didn't use Cyrus and so forth used a different format and require a little more finesse to coax along. :)

One difference between the versions of OS-X is the name of the user. Apple changed it to cyrusimap in 10.4, so you will have to adjust that. Also inclueded are some tools in Server Admin to manage your mail beter.

You find the information for properly assigning the ownerships in my script. If you wish, you can even move the files to a different location. Although a little bit more trickier, I can give you the information to do so. This makes it possible to reinstall the OS (at a later time) without losing your mails.

Transfering the files is done by the following command:

scp -r -p root@(ip-old-mail-server):/var/spool/imap/user /var/spool/imap

Good luck, Kees

Well, sure, but you could transfer the data in many different ways. That's just a secure copy command that uses an ssh connection. If you have a larger datastore, you might want to use tape, removable drive or some sort of media. :)

Its just a matter of placing the data back in the right directories with the proper permissions. :)

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
This may sound patronizing but don't you just install it.
I would keep the older version just incase or ask apple :D

Good luck

Keeping the old version is not a bad idea, but sometimes not possible.

Asking Apple is also possible, but do not forget to keep your creditcard ready.

Good luck, Kees

oohhmmm said:
Hello there,

-kelley-

Just a reminder, do not care about contents of the mailboxes themselve, by copying the correct maps, the contents are fully preserved including the personal maps.

Also just prepare your server and give it a go like described before. As long as the old servere is working fine, nothing is lost.

Good luck, Kees

Hello there,
I would like to thank all of you for your responses to my mail conundrum.
Armed with this infrmation, I will be able to figure womething out.
-k-

Back