Is there an iBook2 appearing on the horizon?

konstantinos

Registered
I'm seriously thinking of buying a Mac notebook this summer. The TiBook is simply awesome. But I simply can't afford it. So, the iBook (probably the 14'' one?) seems like the best solution for me.

But the question is:

the iBook is not that new. It's like 1-2 years old, isn't it? The 14'' version is relatively new, but it's not radically different from the 12'' version in terms of hardware.

So do I run the risk of spending a fortune this summer to buy an iBook, and find out the next day that Apple is ready to unveil iBook2?Do we have any news of what's about to follow the iBook? And when is iBook2coming?

Thank you for any tips you can give me. (And sorry for the bad english, folks!).

Well, it has an aging processor (only it and the old iMac have the G3 now) and a sub-par 3d card (only 8MB of mem). Certainly an update is on the horizon. Who knows how long it'll take though? could be this summer, could be this fall. I just bought a new iBook, and it suits me very well as a notebook, not exactly for heavy gaming.

The iBook went to its current design style about six months ago, so I can't see any more than cosmetic changes in the actual design of the iBook happening any time soon.
As for the processor, the iBook is the only G3 still being actively marketed by Apple, and I'd imagine they are aiming to move it up to a G4. But before they do that they would have to:
- Be able to fit G4s to the iBook without noticeably affecting the price.
- Use at least a G4-500, otherwise people who believe the megahertz myth will believe the iBook is actually going to be slower.
- Seriously bump-up the powerbook lineup to keep them in front of the iBook and keep the sales going.

So, no, I can't picture any serious changes in the iBook lineup in the next six months or so. The current iBooks are superb machines for work, internet, design and multimedia, but like WDRAM says; they fall a little behind in the 3D games department. Their airport reception is better than the TiBook as the different construction helps, the video out is an RF lead rather than S-Video, and there is no infra-red port on the iBook. As usual, it depends on what you want to use it for.
And I highly reccommend the 12 inch model. It has the same res as the 14, looks sharper and neater, and is a whole lot easier to carry around. (Trust me, my Locations menu has four different area-codes)

Hmm... I see. Thanks for your input guys! I've taken what you said under consideration, and I think I'll go on and buy that iBook (the 12'' if it's better, as you say). Thanks once again!

Video out is composite (those famous red/white/yellow plugs). Im gunna get a AV cable tonight for my iBook 600 (with an AC adapter that only glows green).

Why is everyone complaining about the 14 " .. i have it ..it is as crisp as the 12 ... and believe me when you work.. you DO see the 2" difference... i had both ... sure the 12" is more "portable" but the screen is absolutely awesome on the 14 " as well.. i guess is just a matter of preferences.. but please stop saying that the 14" screen is bad.. cause that is decieving.. is not true ... it is great...as i said.. is just a matter of deciding..Portability vs Designing "performance"...and again those 2" MAKES the difference.. even if they are only 2.. in the long run.. you ll notive them and you ll be pleased.

Back