is this a bug?

cwoody222

Registered
Every time I turn my Mac off my Internet Sys Preferences return the default browser BACK to IE no matter what I do.

Is this just me or does it happen to everyone?

I don't know about the whole default browser ... but my download folder is reset to the desktop ... and my default browser might also have changed ... i didnt notice it till now though ... hmmmmm

I keep having it switch back whenever I upgrade OmniWeb but not when I turn of the computer, that would be annoying.

I know I saw the way to make some other browser default. It's in a configure script or something but it was pretty deep terminal stuff. It's not a bug, it's a feature implemented by Apple to make sure M$ doesn't bloody their nose and take their lunch money.

holy f****** s*** I hate Microsoft so much.

:rolleyes: You guys on the conspiracy bent really need to do some thinking before you post.

Whenever you remove the currently selected browser (like when you delete an older copy of OmniWeb and put a newer sneakypeek in its place or replace an old build of Mozilla with a newer), the System Preferences resets to the default settings because *gasp* the one you had selected isn't available any more!

If you remember to re-apply your preferred browser after each time you download a new version, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Originally posted by Koelling
I keep having it switch back whenever I upgrade OmniWeb but not when I turn of the computer, that would be annoying.

I know I saw the way to make some other browser default. It's in a configure script or something but it was pretty deep terminal stuff. It's not a bug, it's a feature implemented by Apple to make sure M$ doesn't bloody their nose and take their lunch money.

holy f****** s*** I hate Microsoft so much.

Nope. I'm using Omni 4.1 beta 7. I've had it for a few days at least. Last night my default was OmniWeb.

While at work I shut off my Mac.

When I came home I turned it on. IE was now the default.

No new version, no moved files, nothing.

I'm not sure if it changes my default download location - I use the default, desktop.

yeah but there is a way to change that default. Apple didn't make it easy for the avarage person to keep Microsoft happy. I just can't remember or find the way to change that default.

The defaults are stored in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Internet.prefPane/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
(or other language) in the file DefaultHelperApps.plist. Apple was kind enough to make this a good ol' plist instead of some oddly-encoded binary. To change the default choice for web browser, find the web = entry,
Code:
web = (
        {
                DisplayName = "Internet Explorer";
                Info = { BundleIdentifier = "com.microsoft.explorer"; };
                IsDefaultHandler = YES;
        }
);
To set it to Mozilla, it should look like
Code:
web = (
        {
                DisplayName = "Mozilla";
                Info = { BundleIdentifier = "org.mozilla.Mozilla"; };
                IsDefaultHandler = YES;
        }
);
and for OmniWeb
Code:
web = (
        {
                DisplayName = "OmniWeb";
                Info = { BundleIdentifier = "com.omnigroup.OmniWeb"; };
                IsDefaultHandler = YES;
        }
);
Other browsers are left as an exercise for the reader.

Originally posted by starfleetX
:rolleyes: You guys on the conspiracy bent really need to do some thinking before you post.

Whenever you remove the currently selected browser (like when you delete an older copy of OmniWeb and put a newer sneakypeek in its place or replace an old build of Mozilla with a newer), the System Preferences resets to the default settings because *gasp* the one you had selected isn't available any more!

If you remember to re-apply your preferred browser after each time you download a new version, you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

this is nonsense. :)
i've got a haxie installed that lets you select your default browser directly as omniweb (unfortunately forgotten the name of it, but i'm sure you'll find it on versiontracker...), and i can reinstall omniweb as often as i like, sysprefs still defines omniweb as default.
koelling is quite right to blame m$, or in this case, to blame apple and their stupid cooperation with m$, as the only reason for the ie-default-resetting behaviour is the fact that ie is the built-in default browser, when apple should have provided for several different browsers as possible default. if that was the case, there would be no problem, we wouldn't have to install haxies to make up for apples mistakes... :)

Could the program be called "browser wars"? I have that but what it does for me is adds all the browser names to the pull down menu. It helps so I don't have to dig through my entire directory but I still get it reverted to IE when I remove OW.

blb: thanks, I'll try that next. There is also the preference editor thing that's in the developer's tools which edits plst so I'll let you know if that works out for me.

I'm sure I missed an important detail and I'm going to get flamed for asking this question, but...

Why not just use the Internet Preferences Panel? You can change the default browser on the Web tab...

so your internet preferences switch back to IE... you should count your blessings....

My default browser reverts back to NetFinder!!

NetFinder is not even a web browser, it is an FTP client! :rolleyes:

Back