Is This a Reputable Download Site?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I was doing some research on third-party software downloads and came across the follwing site. Can anyone tell me if this site is safe to download from? Is it a reputable site? I usually get my downloads from Versiontracker.com because I know it's a reputable Mac site, but this link looks really good:

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/sort/3150-2274-0-1-5.html

Hi Amie

It's been long since i've used zdnet and I consider it as reliable, but looking at the link you provided i'm not sure they are update with mac for instance they still show konfabulator 2.0 as a shareware @ $24.95 eventhough it's been taken over by yahoo and it is now free.....I compared with macupdate that show version 2.1 and as a freeware. (you can access to latest updates by clicking main in this forum)

In short versiontracker and macupdate are IMO way better

Yeah don't worry about zednet, he's an oldie. I've been downloading from him since the classic days and no problems.

But yes, use macupdate.com

Reputable download sites normally do not have apps for d/l
that contain adware - it was a comment directly related to
your question.

g/re/p said:
Reputable download sites normally do not have apps for d/l
that contain adware - it was a comment directly related to
your question.
And my post was directly related to your comment. Who said anything about adware? Not I. The site in question isn't about adware--it's a software download site that offers many of the same applications as Versiontracker.com and Macupdate.com and other reputable sites. And I've learned since my original post in this thread that, yes, it is a reputable site indeed. I downloaded a few applications. No problems whatsoever.

Amie said:
And my post was directly related to your comment. Who said anything about adware? Not I. The site in question isn't about adware--it's a software download site that offers many of the same applications as Versiontracker.com and Macupdate.com and other reputable sites. And I've learned since my original post in this thread that, yes, it is a reputable site indeed. I downloaded a few applications. No problems whatsoever.

The presence of adware in applications available for d/l is definitely related to the reputation of a download site - zdnet also has apps for pc's and many of them have adware.

FWIW, my original comment was meant to be humorous,
so please get off your high horse and stop being antagonistic.

Is This a Reputable Download Site?
your exact words, i believe.

g/re/p said:
The presence of adware in applications available for d/l is definitely related to the reputation of a download site - zdnet also has apps for pc's and many of them have adware.

I disagree. Just because a site offers PC downloads doesn't make in a non-reputable site. In fact, it makes it more accessible to the public, because it offers both Mac and PC downloads, just not one or the other. And, like I said, I've downloaded from this site (and so have many, many other Mac users) with no problems whatsoever. And I've since learned that, yes, it IS a reputable site and has been around for years.

g/re/p said:
FWIW, my original comment was meant to be humorous,
so please get off your high horse and stop being antagonistic.

I'm not on a high horse nor am I being antagonistic. I guess I just didn't get your attempt at humor. No big deal. And there's no need to get nasty. Relax.

Back