Is this software or hardware error..

displacedmer

Registered
I have a 20" Intel Duo IMac with 2.4 processor and OS10.5.6
During an install of MS Office Mac 2008 security update yesterday the update froze and some keyboard items (sound) stoped working. I could not turn it off or quit the application, so I did manual turnoff (power button for 5 sec). When I tried to reboot it went through first gray screen and apple logo and stopped during the blue screen, soetimes with arrow mouse pointer showing and other times not. I restarted with Lepoard CD and did disk repair, which found and corrected an error (cache value, I think). It still did not reboot. I ran Hardware Test, simple and full, and came up with an error code 4MOT/1/4000000:3.HDD Mac Knowledge base has nothing on this and Mac CS person said she could not find it..Her rec was to archive and reinstall, preserving network settings. I do have an external drive set up and used time machine. I need to be sure data on time machine is preserved since it has essays, photos, and other info that is not elsewhere.
Do I have a hardware, software, or both as errors and what should I do??
Thanks and sorry for the long post--I see from other posts that the more info on the problem, cause, and system, the better the reply.

I just experienced a very similar problem when I did a software update on my G4 (ver. 10.4). When it tried to install the security update the system froze. When I restart it stops before it gets to the login screen. I booted from the install disk and ran disk utility which identified the error as a problem with extended attributes. I can boot from a different partition but I really need to get this fixed. I will follow your thread because it sounds as if our problems are of similar origin.

Back