Is this some sort of USB problem?

jbaugh

Registered
I recently began having problems with an unresponsive system while running Leopard on my quad G5.
I restarted and ran single user mode. I get this confusing message:

"USBF: 50.376 AppleUSBEHCI [Ox6ecd800]: :Found a transaction past the completion deadlin on bus Ox4b, timing out! (Addr: 3, EP:4)"

What does this mean and what do I need to do about it?
Thanks for any help.
John

I'd start with a process of elimination. Remove your attached USB devices one by one, to see if you can identify which device is causing the problem. When you find it, you might be able to update the driver for that device to fix the problem.

symphonix,
Thanks for your help. I disconnected my two USB hubs connected to the rear of the G5 and my iPod shuffle that was attached to the front USB port. Restarting into single user mode showed that the error message was gone. I attached each USB hub one at a time and restarted in single user mode without getting the message. I then re-connected the iPod and again documented that there were no error messages in single user mode.

It is interesting to note that when I was having the problem with all three USB ports in use (before I disconnected them), System Profiler did not show an entry for my connected iPod under the USB tree. After disconnecting and serially re-connecting everything, "iPod" now shows up under System Profiler in the USB tree. I suspect that the whole problem might have easily been solved simply by disconnecting and then re-connecting my iPod.
Thanks for your interest and your response. My computer seems to be behaving properly once more.
John

Back