Is Tiger 10.4 only available for G4s?

I am hoping that the MHz issue will be irrelevant, as that would scr*w owners of “Pismos” and such. :(

The minimum requirement for Tiger will be a G3 processor, built-in FireWire and a DVD-ROM drive. This news's been out since Tiger Preview's been out. Many a rumour site has stated this... So the iBook G3 will be just fine.

CalSD said:
I am hoping that the MHz issue will be irrelevant, as that would scr*w owners of “Pismos” and such. :(
Actually, the Pismo and the iceBooks are the new bottom-end laptop models that will run Tiger. For Panther it was the Lombard and Clamshell iBook. For Jaguar/Puma/Cheetah, it was the Wallstreet.

I don't see Apple changing the parts of the requirements that say: G3, G4, G5 processor, built-in firewire. I could see Apple offering a CD version of the installer, but the rest is pretty much set in stone. Why do I say this? Because in the industry, requirements/design for a product like this are set before you ever start working on the code for it. It helps make sure your product comes out on time by stopping feature creep among other things, and helps the programmers know exactly what code needs to be customized for what configurations. The DVD/CD thing is a minor issue with manufacturing, rather than software engineering, so could change. Telling programmers who have been at work at this for a few months now to change the requirements and re-write code accordingly is just asking for a delay.

Back