iSight better than others?

RevURGT3

Registered
So, I am tempted to buy an iSight camera... I have a Logitech that, from what my family tells me, looks very good from the other side... so I am wondering... since the iSight will work with Yahoo Messenger, will it actually produce better images than the Logitech?

Has anybody here compared iSight with other cameras?

Any comments appreciated!

Several times firewire cameras have been compared and the iSight always seems to come out on top. Maybe not in every area, but certainly almost all. Low light sensitivity is the most notable weakness but that can be easily remedied by a little light on the subject. All in all a pricey but superlative design.

The only thing better (and probably far better) is using a DV camcorder with firewire. Unfortunately it seems that there are no OSX drivers. Only Windows drivers. DVWebcam I think is the name of the driver. But maybe soon. It seems crazy. Maybe pressure from Apple? It sure must encourage iSight sales since so many Mac people already have firewire camcorders. It could cut into the iSight business maybe.
Write a driver. Make us happy!

One more thing before I rush and buy one... people using Yahoo Messenger on a PC will be able to see me, correct? All my family runs PCs (I am working on that... :D) and I want to make sure that works...

Why would Apple not make the iSight more flexible to be used by more messenger programs? Aren't they limiting themselves?

NOTE: Never mind, I searched on the forums and found that it does work with Yahoo although not with audio... c'mon Yahoo, finish the damn Yahoo Messenger update!!!

If you already have a DV Cam go to ioxperts.com and try their webcam drivers. I've used them and they work flawlessly. I actually got an old Kritter Cam (USB) to work along with my brother's older SONY Handicam with Firewire. The Kritter Cam took a little extra and needed some software called iChatUSB. Look it up. It works great for outdated USB cams as well. In the end, I ended up buying an iSight and I think the video quality is excellent. I've seen it from my Dad's when I visit him and my wife gets on our cam on the other end. Anyway, I think it's worth it.

I don't have experience with other web cams. I can say the isight works well. Usually the people on the other end of a web conference complement me on the quality of the image.
And yes, people on a PC can see you and vice/versa.

RevURGT3 said:
Never mind, I searched on the forums and found that it does work with Yahoo although not with audio... c'mon Yahoo, finish the damn Yahoo Messenger update!!!

Don't hold your breath for audio between PC and Mac on Yahoo!...it would require a total rewrite of both the PC and Mac versions using a new audio codec. Besides, they haven't updated the Mac version of messenger for years (the 10.0 era).

"If you already have a DV Cam go to ioxperts.com and try their webcam drivers. I've used them and they work flawlessly."

Did you ever get a DV Cam on firewire to work with IOxperts software? It didn't recognize my Canon on a Mac Mini. I might have done something wrong though. I'm very inexperienced in this area.

I think I read somewhere on the ioxperts site that it just might work with other cams not listed. I was just suggesting that it's worth a try, especially since it gives you a free trial. For some, it might work, for others, it might not...whatever your camera is.

Experience: people should not recommend something if they haven't tried it. Just because its free is no reason to pipe up. You could spend your whole lifetime trying "free trials" on the net, which are absolute garbage.
I realize your intentions were good. But we need people to comment who actually have tried and can vouch from their personal experience. Same with the support staff. Too many are commenting just to comment.
The road to ruin is paved with good intentions.
Another option is to comment if the thread has died. At least its been exhausted by then.
I hope that doesn't sound too critical.

on the contrary, any suggestion is useful, no matter how contrived. always suggest something, if it's relevant. Mrsea wasn't reccommending that program, he was suggesting it may work.

RobinS

I hope that doesn't sound too critical.
That does sound a little critical. People here try to help others. We can't possibly try everything available, but can make suggests to try something.

We learn by trying.

You said this;
Several times firewire cameras have been compared and the iSight always seems to come out on top.
Where did you see this? An official statement from somewhere that tests hardware?

I have a FirewireDirect Firewire Webcam, just as good as my friends iSight, if not better.

RobinS,

I appreciate where you're coming from but I think what I offered was totally relevant. Over the years, I've tried a few "hair-brained" suggestions when all else had failed and some have miraculously worked. To me, this posting stuff isn't life or death. I sure wouldn't come on here and try to give medical advice though I might impart my own personal experience if it might offer someone either comfort or a new way to look at his/her situation. And I agree, there's lots of free garbage on the 'net. I just happen to know that ioxperts is a reputable company that offers free trials of their downloads so you don't spend your money and then find out their product doesn't work for you. I get my info from reputable Mac pubs or from other Mac-heads like me who try different things. You can never learn unless you try.

Back