Isight recording DARK

Ac Rambler

Registered
when I'm on my macbook, and i open a program such as imovie, that enables the isight, i can see picture at first and then it goes completely dark. i've tried restarting my computer, some times when i restart, i can see my self fine at first, and then it goes a little dark, and then if i shine a light at it, it darkens that out, and goes 100% dark. do you know how to fix this?

If it's under 90 days old, contact AppleCare. If it's over a year old, bring it in to a Genius bar. This sounds like a hardware problem to me, but in any case, they will be able to fix it.

Hi there,

My friend had the same problem with his imac 20" intel core duo 2.0G. The procedure he did to solve the issue was disconnecting all cables including the mains. Then wait for 1 minute, put everything back and restart again. Problem solved. This is a resetting of the SMC or something, apple also mentiones such a procedure for resetting the smc(?) in general.

Interesting, I've noticed something similar on a MacBook Pro. When playing with Photo Booth under Leopard, I've noticed the "Normal" iSight picture would often become very dark after played with a number of backgrounds (i.e. tinkering with special effects for some time). Quitting Photo Booth and re-opening it seemed to solve the problem, so I wondered if the iSight calibration simply became confused over this time.

I had not noticed the phenomenon before installing Leopard, but then again it is only since Leopard that you have the option of using different backgrounds... My suspicion is that it is software related, therefore. I haven't tried leaving iSight running for a long period of time without playing with special effects, though, to judge what causes it.

To reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on a MacBook or MacBook Pro, here is a link to Apple's instructions. Let me know how you get on! :)

Back