Isight replacements anyone?

bluemack

Registered
Now that Apple no longer makes the stand alone isight, the prices on ebay and amazon for new and used ones are so expensive that I would like to know if there is any other webcams out there for one's mac that are as good (or even better) for video ichats.

Those who actually have one and have personal experiences with your non-isight webcam would be most wanted here for replies.

bluemack

Basically, any FireWire webcams work. (But those are rather rare.) USB is more of a problem. I'd think about actually getting a miniDV cam with FireWire. With that you get a pretty good camera that also does other things well. Might find a cheap used one of those as well.

It is amazing. If you go to Amazon, you'll see that the list price of $149 has been SLASHED to $330. Can't believe this has become such a problem. I have a 2002 Quicksilver I'm running 10.4.9 on. Do you think the new Ultra Pro from Logitech will work?

I have one sitting here in the drawer you can have for $100. I only used it for a month last summer while my kids were away at grandma's house.

i'm not sure about this, but didn't apple release an update that allowed usb web cams?

I have an ISight and it works great..Why cant we cajole, Pressure, beg, whatever Apple to begin manufacturing the ISight again..

Apparently, there are some cameras you can now use with USB with Tiger. Or, so it seems (I've gotten a lot of information about this stuff in the last couple days, mostly from MAC friends).

So, the new Logitech Ultra Pro (the one that says "Works with Windows Vista" on the box should work fine. Also, there is one out there that is a USB webcam (image something)

Back