Isn't the CRT officially dead?

Ricky

Registered
Originally envisioned by Steve Jobs at MacWorld San Francisco, upon introducing the new iMac
And I think that this is the official death of the CRT today... this is the best thing I think we've ever done... The move to flat screens, we recognized early on, is going to be the biggest single change in desktop computers in the next decade... we think flat displays and G4's are so cool that we want everyone to have one.
The eMac has a CRT.. didn't they kill it? Why are they still using CRT's if they're trying to move away from them? Now that the eMac is out for everyone, I'm starting to doubt their strategy. :mad:

but think of it from apple perspective.. would it be smarter to go against their word or to get sales in the education field by having affordable computers?

If you care to compare the prices of the education eMac and the iMac, also taking into account the fact that the iMac is too flimsy for classroom use, you'll understand why.

The iMac also only has 1024x768 resolution, wheras the eMac has 1280x960. I'd much rather have an eMac for this reason only, even if the prices were the same.

Perhaps, but think about it. The average consumer would much rather go with a $750 Dell than a $1100 eMac. They are not educated.

"Duhr, eMac and Dell.. they're the same thing, right? XB~~~"

Besides that, an average Joe employee at your local CompUSA always leads people to the PC's when they say,

"Uhr, I'm looking for a new computer. XB"

Price makes no difference. If Apple is going to keep customers, they might as well keep the iMac and drop the eMac except for education. If someone is that willing to buy a Mac, they'll be willing to go for the extra $300 for the iMac. I'm challenging Apple's decision to put the eMac out for consumers, not for the education market. I think their decision to put it out for education was a good idea. Their recent choice for the eMac was a bad one.

'Nuff said.

The fact is, that the eMac was initially intended for classroom and lab purposes only. There was such a high demand of people not necessarily meeting Apple's requirements of being a 'student' or 'educator' that they decided to make it available for the general public.

We obviously know why they used a CRT in the eMac and not a flat panel ... it's more durable, can achieve higher resolutions, and oh yeah, it's cheaper. Now if Apple came out with new CRT monitors for Power Macs and what-not, then I would have to question their strategy ... but it's ridicules to expect them to burn their bridges (ie, the needs of the education market) just because Steve Jobs said "the CRT is dead."

Okay, themacko, I respect your point, but I'm afraid I must lead you back to the Dell argument, best explained by MacWorld Magazine's "In the Spotlight" article.

published in MacWorld Magazine
Apple releases eMac to consumer market. Consumers shopping at CompUSA will still be led to Dell section of store, and will not see the eMac on shelves until December.

By the time the eMac is out, most consumers will have "upgraded" to a Dell, leaving very little profit room for the Apple eMac.

click here to see what David coursey of ZDnet has to say about this. frankly, i agree with him this time.

remember, Steve is not God and he is not able to predict the future all the time.:D

oh, and Ricky - i think when we start judging apple's decisions by what happens at CompUSA or any other multiplatform retailer, we are missing the point of why apple has succeded this long. Informed people are going to check out macs regardless and the uninformed never will - we don't need to bring people on board thru point-of-sale emotions. that will just make for lots of new ticked-off mac users when they discover it isn't a peecee. People need to buy macs because they know what they are doing.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
oh, and Ricky - i think when we start judging apple's decisions by what happens at CompUSA or any other multiplatform retailer, we are missing the point of why apple has succeded this long.
I understand that Apple has made some good choices, but they have also made some, how shall I say... not-very-well-thought-out ones. The business world is like a game of chess.. you have to think ahead of your competitor. Apple usually does a good job of this, but this time I'm not so sure. :(

Nobody's perfect.

Well, I thought introducing the eMac to consumers was a very good idea. I never liked LCDs at all. They are still advanced and pricy, when the CRT is much cheaper, has a much higher refresh rate (you know when anything moves on your screen and a trail follows it on an LCD). Not to mention the fact that lower prices lead to more users(poor people) buying a computer. No one uses computers in India, yet India has a three times bigger population. Just my thoughts...

Consumers shopping at CompUSA will still be led to Dell section of store, and will not see the eMac on shelves until December.

1st of all, you can't get a Dell at CompUSA. Dell is only available through their own channels - online, catalog and phone orders. Its one of the reasons Dell has been successfull (the other being that they sell low quality junk to people who don't know any better...:) )

Second, Apple Store's will have the eMac on hand within a week, and from what Jobs said, they will have no trouble meeting demand. Production is fully ramped up and they are cranking them out. I know, I know, Apple says that alot and fails to deliver, but let's see if it's true before we have a conniption.

Finally, I think releasing the eMac for consumers is a great move. First of all, it shows Apple is really listening. Consumers really want it. Many were willing to either pose as education customers or go through the gray market to get them. Also, with the way the LCD market has been, it makes financial sense to still have a low cost CRT machine in the consumer space. LCDs have not come down in price the way everyone expected, and the result is high LCD iMac prices, which have slowed Apple's sales.

Okay, the article was incorrect, so sue me. ;)

If Apple can show success with the eMac, then by all means. No one's stopping them. :)

Originally posted by whitesaint
Well, I thought introducing the eMac to consumers was a very good idea. I never liked LCDs at all. They are still advanced and pricy, when the CRT is much cheaper, has a much higher refresh rate (you know when anything moves on your screen and a trail follows it on an LCD). Not to mention the fact that lower prices lead to more users(poor people) buying a computer. No one uses computers in India, yet India has a three times bigger population. Just my thoughts...

Um.... Whitesaint, I think you're a bit off on the whole "refresh" thing... You see, as CRT actually shoots a picture at you at say 75Hz, or whatever..... CRTs redraw the whole screen several times per second....

The LCDs you speak of which leave a "trail" are the OLD-style LCDs.... in these LCDs (which were phased out around 1997.... not quite sure)... those LCDs had pixels that took 1/8 of a second to change color... thus the "ghosting" you speak of.

Modern LCDs (such as the ones in the new iMac.... PowerBook G3s and up, etc).... have what are called TFT screens... (forgot what TFT stands for).... and, unlike a CRT, each individual pixel of a TFT screen has its own controler, which makes it change color immediately, as soon as it gets the signal.... Modern day LCDs change instantly.... because of this, there is no refreshing. Which is why LCDs are said to be easier on the eyes. Instead of flashing at 75 Hz, there is a stable image. In effect, TFT LCD screens have the best "refresh" rates of all.

Originally posted by adambyte

Um.... Whitesaint, I think you're a bit off on the whole "refresh" thing... You see, as CRT actually shoots a picture at you at say 75Hz, or whatever..... CRTs redraw the whole screen several times per second....

The LCDs you speak of which leave a "trail" are the OLD-style LCDs.... in these LCDs (which were phased out around 1997.... not quite sure)... those LCDs had pixels that took 1/8 of a second to change color... thus the "ghosting" you speak of.

Modern LCDs (such as the ones in the new iMac.... PowerBook G3s and up, etc).... have what are called TFT screens... (forgot what TFT stands for).... and, unlike a CRT, each individual pixel of a TFT screen has its own controler, which makes it change color immediately, as soon as it gets the signal.... Modern day LCDs change instantly.... because of this, there is no refreshing. Which is why LCDs are said to be easier on the eyes. Instead of flashing at 75 Hz, there is a stable image. In effect, TFT LCD screens have the best "refresh" rates of all.

Well sue me, but why does my Dual USB iBook do it all the time? On my old iMac CRT I could actually read the text as I was moving a window. Every single new iMac, iBook I've seen leave these "ghost trails" behind.

I still think that several hundred dollars is not worth a square foot of space, and all the "advantages" that an LCD brings. Just my $0.02 please don't flame me.

Originally posted by whitesaint
Just my $0.02 please don't flame me.
I don't think adambyte was flaming you. Just correcting.

From my experience, different people have different eyesight. Some have what I call "fast" eyes, some "slow" eyes. People with fast eyes can see the flicker on a lower refresh rate (talking about CRTs here), and it's very annoying. People with slow eyes (I consider myself to have moderately slow eyes -- sometimes I can see the refresh, somtimes not) don't see the flicker as much. Perhaps this is why you see the ghost images...?

Sorry, buddy. Not flaming. Just trying to account for what you may see.

Hey, you know what? To each his own, eh? I don't think CRTs are dead... most people who deal with magazine layouts and colors and such still prefer CRTs... The colors on CRTs are usually more vivid than those of LCDs... Then again, who know what's more realistic looking? *shrugs*

I happen to have 'fast' eyes. Anything below 72Hz on a CRT makes me dizzy.

I have no such problem with the TFT iMac.

Nor do I see 'ghosts'

Back