ISPs that support OS X

Guzz2k

Registered
First of all, a hello to all of you out there in OS X land. I myself am a Windows convert and haven't regretted it for a moment.

Except for maybe now.

At the moment, I live with my folks, which is fine for internet access since I leach off of their connection via a router. However, I wouldn't be able to log onto our Verizon DSL service myself since they don't have an OS X dialer. Of course, now that I'm moving into my own place in Miami next month, it looks like I may be up the creek as far as access goes. (I'm sure I'm not, but like the signature says, I don't know anything about computers beyond how to use them.)

So, this is where I turn to you: What ISP, if any, would provide me with the OS X software I need? Furthermore, do I even need an ISP-specific program, or can I just use one of those PPPoE programs?

Even with Verizon you should still be able to setup the PPoE on the X box without any additional software. 99% of PPoE accounts work with OSX natively

Dave

I live in the Miami area have Bellsouth. They use alcatel products that work with OS X.

I recommend them as a DSL provider because any other company you use is ultimately going to have to go through them anyway if they are your local service provider. Might as well go with the company that has ultimate control over your lines.

I'd also recommend getting PPPOe as opposed to PPPOa.

Let me know if you have further questions.

any isp that works with windows will work with mac os x... the only exception is if the isp uses a specific dialer, but that doesn't happen very often...

As far as DSL, you should have no problems at all if using OSX. Setup in X is easier than a Windows machine. You will just need the info to put in these setup window such as DNS servers/various settings.

This thread is a little old by now, but I got Verizon 3rd tier support by
ordering the service and saying thruthfully that I wouldn't keep it if it
didn't do OS X.

Jerry

Back