Issue Deleting

Vivianne

Registered
Hi

I have copied the files from my PC to a external drive on my MAC I'm trying to clean up these file and when I try and delete some of the folders I get the window asking for my password I enter my password but the folders will not delete how do I solve this or force delete these old files?

Hi

I have copied the files from my PC to a external drive on my MAC I'm trying to clean up these file and when I try and delete some of the folders I get the window asking for my password I enter my password but the folders will not delete how do I solve this or force delete these old files?

Hi, I am stuck with a comparable problem with files orginally copied from a pc

I tried to delete from a terminal :

sudo rm -f nameoffiletodelete

then I am prompted for the password, typed it
and got the answer :

'Operation not permitted' even though the permissions look ok... ?

i have a partial answer :
in my case, the whole directory 'Documents' was locked and that blocked the deletion of some of the files in it

So first :
check whether Documents is locked :
select Documents, do cmd+I and look in the bottom of the information window whether the locker is open or closed.
If closed, just click it, and then try and delete the file you want to remove

...hmm it seems to me that this thread is not in the right section, sorry for that..

I had the same problem. I transfered a large picture folder from a PC to a MAC and it was written as a Read only file, I also believe it was an archive folder too.
Windows had a file go hidden, and I was unable to find a way to see hidden files.
There is actually 3 ways to delete, you can put it in the trash and go to empty trash, secure empty trash, and then there is a command key version.
Im on my PC right now, so the keyboard is different (I remember where I put my fingers, not the buttons) I believe it was ctrl + apple squiggly thing + delete. It may be option first...possible chance its shift instead of ctrl.
I found this by searching delete and force delete in the help viewer.

i found some more information there about deleting 'Undeletable' files :
http://www.spiderjay.com/blog/?p=37

in particular :
"
You should just be able to (from Terminal):
% sudo chflags nouchg /path/to/immutable/file
Then ‘rm’, or empty trash.
"

to view the hidden files (and the others), you can simply open a terminal and type 'ls -a' and type the path of the directory or simply drag from the Finder the directory you want to look into

Back