Issue with Imac G3

macnewbie113

Registered
Hi

I am very new to Macs as I've been a PC man for many years. I was given an old Imac G3 500MHz and thought I would have a look to see what I might be missing :)

However the machine has an issue, it boots up into the OS no problem at all. However when I try to click on any Icons there is nothing. The icon highlights but thats it, nothing else. My first thought was the mouse, but I have tried this mouse in a friends G4 with no problem at all. I have also tried his mouse with mine with the same result.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

If those icons are on your Dock (the row of icons, which would include a Mac 'smiley face' at one end - and the trash at the other end), then a single click should work just fine. All other icons would respond if you double-click those icons. Or, you can still click an icon, so it is highlighted, then go to the File menu, and click Open - or press command-Q on your keyboard.
Important! - if your keyboard is NOT an Apple brand keyboard, and is actually a Windows keyboard (with the Windows key near the bottom left corner), the command key is that Windows key, and not the one in the usual position immediately to the left of the spacebar.

It's also possible that you have a mouse setting that is affecting your mouse.
Open the System Preferences (under your Apple Menu)
Then, open the Keyboard & Mouse pref pane. If the 'double-click' setting is at either the minimum, or the maximum, try moving the slider toward the middle.
Try your double-click again. If it then works, that's all you need to do.

If nothing helps, then I suspect that the previous owner installed some kind of software that affects the use of the mouse.
The usual recommendation here is to erase the hard drive, and reinstall from your installer disks, as there's always the possibility that the last owner left you with a 'wonderful gift' of malware, or just incompetence, and forgot to tell you about it.
Do you have OS X reinstall disks - or can you get some help from your friend with the Mac?

Back