Issues when disks turn on/power button

danielhf

Registered
I apologize in advance if this issue has already been discussed, but I was not able to find anything like this.

My system: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo (not unibody), 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.1/Windows 7 Home x64

Recently, my computer randomly lost power after opening the monitor latch, waking it from sleep mode. I thought this was strange, but there wasn't much I could do, other than try to turn it back on.

I hit the power button, the computer started to turn on, but lost power just as the "on" sound file started to play. Actually, the sound was cut-off by the power loss. Well, this kept on happening, I just couldn't get it to boot due to near-immediate power loss.

I found out that if I held the power button for approximately 10 seconds, I could get the computer to boot up just fine. Seemed really strange.

Here's what I know:
1. I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds to get it to start without losing power.
2. The computer will lose power once the disks are reinitialized after waking from sleep (I see the display come on, but it dies once I hear the hard drive initialize).
3. If I command the computer to restart via the apple menu in OS X or the start menu in Windows 7 it restarts just fine.
4. I haven't found any other operational problems with the computer in either OS.

Any ideas? I have AppleCare until Nov. 28th of this year, so I have an appontment with the genius bar to check it out, but would be happy to hear any ideas, as I would rather deal with this myself.

I also have this problem, although mine seems like a worse version.

My MBP 17" (early 2008) has the same symptoms, except won't boot at all, and only powers on for approx 1.5 seconds, unless I hold down the power button, and even then, it dies after about six seconds.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2217199&tstart=30

Any help would really, really be appreciated.

I assumed it was a problem with using secure virtual memory during sleep, or with RAM, so @OP: Do you have nonstandard RAM in your MBP, and do you have that option switched on in the Security Prefpane?

I fixed mine recently. Apparently you can reset the computer's power configuration if something gets messed up somehow by removing the battery and power cable, then holding the power button for 10 seconds. This completely fixed my computer. Give it a shot and see if it helps.

Back