Isync 2.0 Crash

mikeyboyca

Registered
I consistently get a crash when I try to sync my Siemens S56 using a Belkin F8T003 USB Bluetooth adapter. I have trashed the 501 folder, rediscovered and linked my phone several times. When I hit the Sync Devices button, iSync crashes and the reported problem is:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x7c0802a4

This happens with my desktop G4 and my PB TiBook. Since I don't have another Bluetooth adapter, I'm hoping there's someone else out there who has the same combo and has found a solution.

G4 1.25 Ghz
1 GB RAM

800 Mhz (TiBook)
512 MB RAM

Thanks!

I get the exact same crash in iSync 2.1, right down to the same invalid address of 0x7c0802a4. G4 Powerbook 15" Alum, built-in BlueTooth.

Hi:

Thanks for the reply. I have, since I reported the initial problem, reformatted an external drive and installed just a new system and Apple apps as a test. iSync works like a charm. The only conclusion I can come to is that there must be a fairly massive conflict.

Here's what I'm planning:

1. Upgraded to 10.4.2 and ran CCCloner to clone my internal drive to the external box.
2. I'm going to reinstall the system and all my applications via reformat and install (a daunting task), running iSync until it crashes.
3. Where's Conflict Catcher when we need it?!

I'll report back here after I'm done. I did notice there were some invisible Norton files that I told CCCloner to ignore, so the actual first thing I'll try is booting from my extewrnal drive and running iSync. If that works, it was the Norton files (NAV and FS stuff). Since I no longer use Norton, that would be great.

I got the same crash report too when trying to run iSync.
When I logged in as a new user everything was fine, so the assumption was that this was a problem with a file in my user folder. Last night I spent a very boring few hours dumping my prefs and adding them back again in groups to try and locate the problem file. It turns out it was not a corrupt pref as such but one of my login items - in my case You Control Fonts, which runs at startup and adds a wysiwyg font menu. I removed that and iSync has been running perfectly ever since. Hope that helps you.

After uninstalling a bunch of 3rd party utilities, I discovered that APE (APPLICATION ENHANCER 1.4.4) was the culprit. I’ll try updating to 1.5.1, but at least I can temporarily disable APE whenever I need to sync.

I hope this helps someone else.

Ah. The haxies once again. I can't say it enough: Stay the hell away from unsanity's unsanity. They claim they're never wrong and sure enough they do a lot of work to resolve these conflicts - even tell other developers how _they_ can fix the conflicts - but for me it's just like this: If you don't install APE and don't run those haxies, the conflicts don't happen. Simple choice for me.

If you don't install APE and don't run those haxies, the conflicts don't happen.

Ah, yes. But I’m married to FruitMenu, sadly. If you have any suggestions for substitutes, I’d be happy to divorce it.

Back