iSync Beta released!!!

icon13.gif
icon13.gif
To use with a Palm OS device you must have Palm Desktop 4 installed and use the sync button on your palm cradle. Using the sync button in iSync will not work with your Palm. Memo's and notes will not be synced with iSync.

So much for not having to isntal Palm Desktop :mad:

icon13.gif
icon13.gif

Well, I like it!

I only have a palm, but iSync has instantly solved the problem of syncing contacts between Address Book and Entourage.

Setup was easy - it just works!

Finally, it's all in Sync ...

Before iSync:

Mail App = Cube address book != Entourage address book
Palm = Entourage address book = Outlook address book on PC
.Mac not used
iCal != Entourage
Entourage = Outlook at work
Home != work

After iSync:
.Mac = Palm = Entourage = Cube = Outlook (PC) = iCal
Home = work

i.e. Apple makes things simpler once again.
And I can now use the Mac Address book to clean up all my contacts

And it all worked flawlessly.

Wasn't there suppose to be a feature in Rendezvous or iSync that allowed the sharing of playlists in iTunes?

I remember Steve Jobs' keynote where he had Phil walking around with a laptop and they instantly started sharing playlists.

Steve was then able to play a song, over the wireless network, directly from Phil's laptop...

This is feature I want...

I have a machine that has my entire music collection and I want my roaming laptops to be able to play any song from that library.

Anyone know when I could expect that?

Originally posted by evildan
I remember Steve Jobs' keynote where he had Phil walking around with a laptop and they instantly started sharing playlists.
This was Rendezvous' doing over a wireless network with a demo version of iTunes. Steve says this this will probably be implemented in late January as an update to iTunes. I expect it released around the MYSF Keynote. :)

I'm sure they didn't do it intentionaly but is apple leaving us G3'rs out of the loop now?

Mac to Mac:
Any PowerBook G4, iBook, iMac, eMac or Power Mac G4 running Mac OS X v.10.2.1 (.Mac membership required).

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
I'm sure they didn't do it intentionaly but is apple leaving us G3'rs out of the loop now?
They said ANY iMac or iBook. (The iBook is a G3 :rolleyes: )

Tried it on my work computer and it works fine. Blue and white G3 Tower, 350 MHz. 128 megs RAM. Besically at the minimum requirement for OS X.

iSync installed, works beautifully between tiBook 667 DVI and ericsson T39m with d-link adapter.

Bonus is ctrl-click dialing from address book. The most difficult thing about the whole procedure is getting my cingular voicemail to work properly.

Should mention that having bluetooth set to "Automatic" on the phone doesn't seem to work, even though it is paired with the computer. Must have it set to "On" - not good for battery life while away. Haven't tried the "older phones" setting in preferences, though.

I know the stories won't all be good from a beta, but glad to have it working. Still not certain where gprs plays into all this.

I installed iSync and it pretty much seems to work. I have a HandSpring Visor and a 20GB iPod. I got the Visor to work without a problem (oh and BTW, if you pop the palm in the cradle and hit the sync button, iSync will launch and sync just fine - I was worried that I might have to launch iSync, hit the sync button and then have to hit the button in the cradle... *phew* :rolleyes:

I'm also glad that it works with HotSync. I have conduits to sync the visor's clock with the Mac's clock. I also use showtimes to put local movie times in my palm. Without Hotsync these would not work.

Aside from the ocassional memo, I am totally weaned from Palm Desktop!!!

The iPod largely works. I got all the contacts to sync fine, but the calendar info won't show up in the iPod. For me, however, that's no biggie as I don't really use that feature in the iPod.

overall, it seems to be working out well. My only whine is that it is rather sluggish in getting the info straight. also, it seems to copy all items to the palm when syncing - even if noone of them has changed (this can take a while when you subscribe to 15 calendars in addition to your own.

I'm sure the speed will come with time. The other things I miss will be coming according to the readme.

excellent app overall

I wanted to iSync my calendar and contacts with my iPod. I had no trouble doing this. All information was transfered OK.

I'm glad iSync was released.

I bought 10.2 because I wanted to sync iCal info with my iPod.

so iSync only works with the 4 really expensive cell phones listed on apple's site? that stinks. does it not support phones that attach via USB port? i wish apple and ericsson didn't have some sort of a contract going on =P.

My iPod synchronizes just fine. It just takes dang long time. Like.... 2 or 3 minutes... anybody else think this is a bit excessive considering we're just comparing and transferring text files via FireWire, or is it just me? Hope they speed it up.

also... I heard there was an iSync menu extra in beta-betas.... where'd it go? I searched "package contents" and couldn't find one.

It worked fine with my 20GB iPod, and only took a couple of seconds. I won't be a power user for iSync but it does everything that I need already.

Not bad for a beta.

R.

I synced all my contacts to iPod.

Put em all nicely in one file.

Of course, doesn't work with my Sprint Touchpoint TP2200 phone (by Denso), but I'll just make sure all my phone contacts are in my mac address book. Then the master list will be the address book, and the iPod will always be a perfect backup.

:bigthumb:

Back