It is no longer a rumor!? ZDnet confirms G970!?

hulkaros

The Incredible...
Here is the article:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103_2-1016770.html

Which supposedly is mostly for HyperTransport :rolleyes:

Here is a piece:
"While some have said that HyperTransport will be a feature in computers that will be shown at the conference and will appear shortly, the company's product strategy is often difficult to predict with complete accuracy. However, it should not be too long before the chip-to-chip connection is placed in the Mac, sources said.

The inclusion of the communication standard is one of a number of announcements expected in Apple's new desktops, which will likely be unveiled at the company's Worldwide Developer Conference, which is scheduled to start June 23 in San Francisco.

Apple has already said it will show off Panther, a new version of the Mac OS X operating system, at the confab.

It may also discuss plans to adopt IBM's PowerPC 970 processor, sources have suggested. The PowerPC 970 can handle 32-bit software--found on most desktops--and 64-bit software, which is found on high-end servers. Among the benefits of 64-bit computers is that they can take advantage of far more memory than 32-bit machines. "

Now, if only Apple will make it official!? :p

But the following sentence got me into some "deeper" thinking:
"Although 64-bit workstations have been around for years, 64-bit standard desktops and laptops are virtually nonexistent, as is software for them. The 64-bit PCs expected this fall that will incorporate AMD's upcoming Athlon64 chip look likely to be used mostly as 32-bit machines, analysts say. The increased performance from these machines, however, should help interest from buyers grow, say 64-bit advocates."

desktops and laptops? :confused: Hmmmmm... Does this hint a possible G970 PowerBook? :rolleyes: Of course this could be just for general 64bit computing :p :rolleyes:

I cannot wait for WWDC 2003! It has to be a turning point in Apple's history :D ;)

As far as I can see, nothing is confirmed and everything is still just rumours.

Admittedly I'd be very suprised not to see 970s pretty soon, but this is still nothing but more rumour, and certainly doesn't confirm a thing.

Originally posted by lnoelstorr
As far as I can see, nothing is confirmed and everything is still just rumours.

Admittedly I'd be very suprised not to see 970s pretty soon, but this is still nothing but more rumour, and certainly doesn't confirm a thing.

...I inserted !? and not just !... :p :D

PLUS I typed:
"Now, if only Apple will make it official!?"

But I think we all know for sure that G970 is coming but what we do not know for sure is at what form and exactly when... Is G970 just another rumor? Maybe until 23rd of this month... :D ;)

:)

I saw that ariticle too, its encouraging the stuff about Hypertransport is there but it doesn't go any further to confirm anything about 970 that we don't already know (or hope!). Its definately a useful article, I think lnoelstorr's point was just that there's nothing solid about the 970 in it. :)

Let's hope for the sake of Apple's stock that they do come out with the PPC970 chips, or at least announce they will release machines with them in a few months.

If this rumor is getting so big as to make it onto normal news sites and not just rumor sites, then there might be an even bigger uproar if Apple doesn't deliver on people's expectations.:rolleyes:

Here is another interesting "Analysis":
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1126732,00.asp

A piece:
"AMD really needs Microsoft to offer a true 64-bit operating system, preferably one that's not still in beta, in order for the Athlon 64 to really take off. If OS X gets there first, AMD could find itself losing market share not to Intel, but Apple."

It seems that more and more "news" sites publish Apple "rumors"...

I hope that Apple will deliver! :p :D

;)

:)

I don't think that you could say that Apple using the 970 in the next generation of Mac is rumor anymore. IBM officially announced it in October. The only question is when will they ship. This should put Apple in a good position to finally start getting some market share back.

Fact is: The PowerPC 970 is 'compatible'.
Fact is: IBM said Apple could use it.
Fact is: Apple has not confirmed anything.

However: Can Apple _afford_ not to use the chip? If there's a barrier, wouldn't we have heard it so far? All we've heard is that Apple might _not_ be ready to ship a 64bit OS in time, but still: The PowerPC 970 would be a great G4 successor even in 32bit mode.

Back