"It Never Crashes" it does...

my system never crashes. but it has, in the past. (i wish i'd never started this thread....)

incidentally, how do you uninstall stuff? i mean sometimes you drag it to the trash. that works. what about pref panes? or things like media player which integrates with the system?

Quick question, how does os x behave on large networks? My brother is a software engineer in Intel. He loves os x but works in a solaris/windows environment all day. The systems are well maintained, no unneccessary software etc. and he reckons that windows behaves well for them and gets the job done without much hassle. He was talking to one of his colleagues who seemed of the opinion that os x isn't as stable across a large network such as the one in intel Ireland (more than 6000 boxes) Anybody got any info/direct experience?

If i'm uninstalling I check for an uninstaller program, if there isn't one I just drag the app to the trash and then check /Library/Application support for any extra stuff belonging to the program. If it's a pref pane, you can find all of these in /Library/Preferencepane.

i don't know about a macos x controlled network, but i'm on a huge network, across about 10,000 computers all networked. my mac runs fine on it.

it is because the software is especially the free stuff that is crashing allot.
i dont think macs have heard of the word cra** i better not get it in its head hey!
the only thing that crashes on xp is xp the apps are to good for it they should be all on macs minus paint, word, publisher!!! and many many more

my experience of xp, in terms of stability, is actually rather good. when running most things, if something crashes, xp stays stable, and lets you quit it. the red cross will always work now, as will the right menu on the task bar. it's just the bloody security problems, and the fact that it is 5 years out of date now that drag it down

Yea I've heard much the same from anybody who is careful with their XP system, ie not downloading stuff from p2p networks and steering clear of spyware/adware. The school where I work uses XP on the newer systems. The biggest problems are virus related.

Spyware and viruses are the biggest problem with 2k/xp. If people are careful then the system has no problems. Its quite bulletproof on its own when its not riddled with viruses :) Can you believe in this day and age,I know people who have windows (I do as well) and dont even have a router / firewall, antivirus or anything and they surf and wonder why 30 seconds later they are infected and the computer is screwd up! Thats fine to do on a mac but not on a PC with so many viruses around. Need protection.

i take it all back. windows is shoddy as hell. dated, riddled with holes, very unstable (and the systems clean as a whistle, i can tell thee). i could throws 3 times as much at MacOS and it wouldn't flinch.

Well I'll gladly buy that XP license from you :) If its a retail XP that is. So what happened to your XP install as far as you can tell? If you're getting crashing or bluescreening or freezing, then I'd do a memory test on that stick of memory. Sometimes you can get some hints as to what is happening in administrative tools - event viewer.

I got tired of explaining advantages and disadvantages of the OSes on the market. Everyone shall buy and use what he likes.

contoursvt said:
Well I'll gladly buy that XP license from you :) If its a retail XP that is. So what happened to your XP install as far as you can tell? If you're getting crashing or bluescreening or freezing, then I'd do a memory test on that stick of memory. Sometimes you can get some hints as to what is happening in administrative tools - event viewer.

it's not bluescreening or anything like that. just the odd unexpected quit, the odd random event that just baffles me. usb printing has been useless on windows since its conception, for example. its a shoddy shortcut telling windows that this "parallel" printer is working fine in the usb "which could well be parallel" port. that's irritating. IE is irritating. firefox has bugged me with it's amateur style since i first saw it. network connections. (it'll auto-dial-up for a few months, then it's make you do it manullly for a few months, then go auto again. all by itself, it would seem. got broadband now though.)
the five spy-ad-mal-virus-anti-programs running constantly.
the quicktime thing that never goes away, no matter how much you msconfig it, or go into it's preferences.
iTunes sucks.
windows doesn't doesn't have Expose.
[you can't easily put accents on letters like macos does.]
in fact, windows doesn't have anything showing that it's modern except that awful green start button (whoever designed that should be shot)

THE START MENU... :mad: so many folders and icons you DONT need. trying to find an installed app in there is painful. always has been (don't forget i am a switcher - i have used, abused and fixed windows since workgroups) and has always bugged me.
the fact that no program is ever completely uninstalled. probably. or maybe it is, but you don't know do you? it may leave some files. it tells you it does.

THE .DLL:mad:

the fact that everything is a weblink, or an advert, or something leading you toward the msn site.
5 hours downtime a week while you defrag 200gb. because the systems uselss if you don't, and you can't do anything while it's doing it.

I HATE IT! I HATE IT SO MUCH :mad: :mad: :mad:

Viro said:
You should put Linux on it :). Ubuntu gets my vote.

I second Viro on the Linux reco... :D

You could also play around with FreeBSD, or even PC-BSD, which tries to be the Ubuntu of the BSD world.

Lt Major Burns, wow thats some list there :) You let it all out. Well I can definitly be sympathetic towards some...

The spyware and virus problem is definitly big, but I'll tell you what I do or use and maybe that might be good for you as well. For antivirus, I either use AVG Free edition from www.grisoft.com or use Bitdefender Free edition from bitdefender.com. Both work very well and have low CPU usage. For spyware, I use Adaware personal edition as my primary, Spybot search and destroy once in a while and last resort for very stubbon hijacks and things.. something called Hijackthis. That last one you gotta be careful because it just really shows installed IE items and startup items. Well you'll know when you look at it.

I think the install uninstall problem might be the same for both platforms no? I've installed things in OSX that have left items behind in Libraries..etc. Granted that is easier to clean up than a left behind .dll or an orphaned registry key. Still I dont think it will cause any issues leaving it behind...it will just cost a few K of disk space. I dont install or uninstall very often to be honest. I usually do a full install the exact way I want, then ghost the system. If I'm ever unhappy about anything, I restore my ghost...

Weirdness in terms of applications quitting and things might still be a memory issue. I'd run Memtest86 which can be downloaded as an ISO and burned. Its a bootable CD and will scan the memory. I'd go through at least 10 passes.... Also make sure the CPU is not getting hotter than high 60's low 70's under full load temperatures (celcius of course :) )

I dont use Firefox because I find it a bit slow but I kinda like IE - mostly for its speed I must admit. I like activeX as well for its convenience, but I'm careful about what to allow to install. I've adjusted my security settings to prompt me for any activeX installs.

As for defragging. I hope you're running NTFS. I'm sure you are. Anyway I dont know how often a single drive has to be defragged because I run two drives and well to be honest, they are very fast so any defragmentation I dont even feel so maybe thats why it doesnt bother me ( Both my C & D drives are 15,000RPM U160 scsi drives ).

I dont know if any of that is of any use..probably not, but the memory thing I'd check into for sure!!!

1) i'm currently running AVG, Kerio anti virus (my dad[owner of machine]'s reccommendation) MS antispyware and AdAware. Crap Cleaner and Spybot get run almost weekly.

2) with macOS, files go: in apps. there will also be 1, maybe 2 com.apple.[ ].plist files added to the library. and that's it. in windows, they go everywhere. i have, right now, at least 20 random application ghosts around the computer, best to find them in Add/Remove Programs, in that list. completly unremovable without delving or using third party. and that's just what the computer chooses to tell you about. i have no idea the level of corruption in this horrid box. i'm guessing the level of a third world government. it's not the loss of disk space - it's the feeling of a loss of conrol. it is pretty much as clean as third-party apps can get it ( i know) and i still know its... dirty (sneered).

3) i'll try the memtest.

4)i don't like internet on this because a) it's dangerous, and b) because it's not safai. - safari is (without being shallow) sleek. it takes up 2 1/2 'lines' of title space. making my big monitor appear bigger (more room). IE uses 6 for the same configuration. seven if you include the start bar. making this 15" wonderCRT seem even smaller. safari is also FAST. very fast.

5 ) i must admit i don't defrag that much - if i was pro on this (i use my mac for pro) i would probably have to more often. i defragged my friends old thinkpad running xp. a 6gb hard disk took 4 hours. tedious. the one in this is 80gb 5000rpm NTFS.

and to the 'nixers, it's actually my parents machine. they'd flip if i did that. i can';t wait until the house is networked so i can get my baby back online. or just until i move out again. a month and a half until my flats ready to move into :(

Lt Major Burns said:
it's the feeling of a loss of conrol. it is pretty much as clean as third-party apps can get it ( i know) and i still know its... dirty (sneered).

I constantly feel this way whenever using my parents PC. It has the professional version of Adaware installed, and Norton AntiVirus 2005 with auto-protect enabled, and ad-watch enabled from Adaware, yet it has still become riddled with viruses, and i am planning on reformatting it in the next few days.

:rolleyes:

well, we got hit with spyware. my sister installed msnplus!, and it trojan-ed. the thing is though, the pop-ups and toolbars are impossible to remove! it's completely immune to Spybot S+D, AdAware, MS Antipyware, Ccleaner, everything! it keeps coming back! and the pop-up blocker is useless! it blocks all regualr pop-ups, but won't block all these! its so irritating!

but, i've almost convinced my father to replace the big charcoal ricketty box with something small, sleek and aluminium. some kind of fruit box...

Lt Major Burns said:
well, we got hit with spyware. my sister installed msnplus!, and it trojan-ed. the thing is though, the pop-ups and toolbars are impossible to remove! it's completely immune to Spybot S+D, AdAware, MS Antipyware, Ccleaner, everything! it keeps coming back! and the pop-up blocker is useless! it blocks all regualr pop-ups, but won't block all these! its so irritating!

but, i've almost convinced my father to replace the big charcoal ricketty box with something small, sleek and aluminium. some kind of fruit box...

My moms credit card # got stolen twice, two different cards. She does a lot of online purchasing with her windows pc. I told her it was most likely spyware.

You'd think 2 times would be enough to ditch the PC and get a Mac Mini :rolleyes:

Back