It still works after 15 years of use.

that is so weird. i came across this article while searching google (for help on broken motion tweens in flash) at about excatly the same time as you...

As I mentioned in the posting, this is a testament to Apple's design regarding hardware and software. I still have my Quadra 650, and it's working great. Thankfully, its previous owner (who was also a Mac user) didn't see the value in this machine anymore and gave it to me for free. I would actually give up my StarMax before I let go of the Quadra, and the StarMax is a PowerPC Mac! :D

i still got 2 mac+s and a classic. all of which worked when last i checked. someday when i have my own house i'm going to have a computer room with all my old noes into, running for anyone to use. lets see, a quick mental count brings it around 20. but my main mac history is this. 1st a mac+, then a quadra800, next a ppc7500, after that a ppc8600, and last a da g4/466. used the mac+ all through high school and the quadra for the couple of years of collage. and like nixgeek said, i wouldn't trade my quadra for anything. 136mb ram, 2gig hd and os8.1.

While we're on the topic... Does anyone want to buy a 10-year-old Packard-Bell desktop? :D

I have an old compaq windows 3.1 computer from 1992... IT works fine and has an amazing 8 mb of ram, 270 mb of hd space, and 1 mb of video ram!

My Mac Plus was stolen a year or so back....

But I still have an LC in the shed and a Performa 6400/200 on loan to a 70 yr old lady who wants to learn e-mail so she can contact the grandchildren. :)

Anyone? Anyone? It works fine. It's just ... old. It's a kick-ass Packard-Bell desktop, complete with a 75 mHz processor. LOL :D

Hah! I just found out what the _real_ problem behind "Macs are longer put to good use" vs. "PCs grow older more quickly" is!

1.) Macs have charme. People (well, Mac-people, anyway...) like them. So they keep 'em around and give them some or other purpose.

2.) PCs are cheap "tools" that are replaced more often. And you just "give them away" once they're not up to the task anymore.

All the other stuff is just mumbo-jumbo.

Amie said:
Anyone? Anyone? It works fine. It's just ... old. It's a kick-ass Packard-Bell desktop, complete with a 75 mHz processor. LOL :D

If you're geek enough, plop NetBSD on that sucker and use it for something...just don't ask me what.. :p

You could also install Ubuntu, but you'd have to up the RAM on it and install a larger HD. I think I still have some old SIMMs laying around somewhere as well as some older 2 GB hard drives. :D

You could also donate that computer to Goodwill or Salvation Army and they will re-use the parts.

Aside from my Quadra, I also have a PowerBook Duo 230 that a friend gave to me. It was fine until it sustained minor damage from my youngest son (1 year old) dropping it. A small line on the screen....a bit annoying, but not that bad. The keyboard is also a little funky when it comes to typing (probably from lack of use) abnd the battery is dead. I also have the floppy and the mini dock for it.

I actually found a place that makes batteries for this laptop, but it costs almost $100, and I doubt my wife will let me buy a battery for something this old (even though I can see the value of this old laptop). :D

I sometimes wish I could go back in time and buy a brand new PowerBook 180 (not the colour version, the greyscale active matrix version!) and bring it back. It was the best computer I was ever allowed to use for writing stories on - period! However, I could only allow myself to buy a PowerBook 150 back then, which of course only had the passive matrix display. Even today, I could work with it - and would love to...

nixgeek said:
If you're geek enough, plop NetBSD on that sucker and use it for something...just don't ask me what.. :p

You could also install Ubuntu, but you'd have to up the RAM on it and install a larger HD. I think I still have some old SIMMs laying around somewhere as well as some older 2 GB hard drives. :D

You could also donate that computer to Goodwill or Salvation Army and they will re-use the parts.
Nix, you *know* I'm geek enough. ;)

Actually, I'm seriously considering going with your latter suggestion and donating it. I don't need it. I have my lovely iBook now. So, hey, if someone can benefit from an ancient PC, I say why not.

fryke said:
I sometimes wish I could go back in time and buy a brand new PowerBook 180 (not the colour version, the greyscale active matrix version!) and bring it back. It was the best computer I was ever allowed to use for writing stories on - period! However, I could only allow myself to buy a PowerBook 150 back then, which of course only had the passive matrix display. Even today, I could work with it - and would love to...
I can't bring back your greyscale PowerBook ... but I *can* offer you a lovely Packard-Bell desktop PC. It ... *almost* has a drab, grey-ish color to the screen. :D

Guess you didn't understand my message, then. ;) ... PB 180: Perfect computer for writing stories in Cafés, parks (sunlit!) etc. Packard-Bell desktop: EW!!!!

a9_1_b.JPG

:D

I also have an old AMD 5x86 PR133 with a PCI motherboard that I used to run Linux on....slowly. ::ha:: My wife is about to kill me for still having this computer after all these years.

And this was her computer from before we got married! ::ha::

I know what you mean Fryke, I had a all-in-one PowerMac, that was great to just sit down to and write, and be creative. I kept it around until just recently, and gave it to a college kid who needed a computer.

Back