iTMS Europe [[Live news]]

Cat

Registered
Report from the dutch site www.macosx.nl. (EDIT: also on www.macnews.de/index.html)

12.00 Conference begins. Jobs on stage, recapping iTMS: 85M downloads, 70% online market.
12.15 OD2 and Virgin are no real competition: illegal downloads are.
People want to own their music not rent it, etc.
12.20 Talks about integration of store in app. iTunes windows best windows app ever. :D
Apparently announces gift certificates also in Europe.

Updates will follow.

12.25 Steve talks about celebrity playlists: "More very day". Gift certificates in euro's and pounds.

12.30 Songs are 79 Pence in UK, 99 cents in Germany, albums 9.99 euro.

My Comment: WooHoo! :)

12.35 iTMS Europe contains 700000 songs of the five big labels including 12000 classical tracks. Steve is giving a demo, iTunes sharing etc.

There's nothing on the Apple site saying it is running. I am in the UK and when i try and access it I still get the Warning saying the iTMS is not available in my country.

I suppose it will go live immediately after the conference.

Steve is still demo-ing.

12.45 Talking about iPod: iPod + iPodmini have 50% marketshare.
Car-kits are coming (apparently for BMW)
AirPort express (next month, € 149,-) + AirTunes (wireless, streaming, encryption, etc.)
Music everywhere because we like it.

12.50 All is said and done. Alicia Keys on stage.

Ouch. Maybe this is wrong, but I am reading reports of 7.99 pounds for an album versus 9.99 euros in France and Germany. Well, by current exchanges, 10 euros = 6.6 pounds, not 8, so looks like UK gets it in the pocket again....

Recap:

The songs cost 79 pence each: "every song in the store costs 79 pence, and albums cost £7.99.

In Germany, each song costs 99 Euros, and most albums cost 9.99 Euros. Same price in France.

"We are working on a pan-European store that we hope to have up by October, but these three stores are available today," he said.

After Alicia, Jobs back on stage ... One more thing?

No, not one more thing: "Now Apple can reach 60% of the worldwide music market through iTunes and the iTMS"

No, I wasn't physically there. The major rumour/news sites didn't have a live transcript, only the smaller dutch and german sites linked above had the live news. That's what I translated and posted on-the-fly. The conference only lasted an hour. Jobs didn't really say anything we didn't know already (blah blah marketshare blah iPod blah airport express blah blah etc.). The only interesting thing are the prices: much higher and worse prices had been anticipated. It is really a relief to see them so low, albeit still higher when translated to $$$.

mrfluffy said:
my reply was aimed at andrew's post

I thought there was not much difference in tax rates in France (19.6%) and Germany (16%) compared to the UK (17.5%). Yet the UK prices are over 20% higher than France or Germany.

While it is still a good price in the UK compared to what is available in the high street, I wonder why there is such a difference in rate. It's not like the cost of living for other things is 20% higher in UK vs France and Germany (and I have lived in all three countries).

But (and the big but) is that it is available finally. I am slightly disappointed that it is only rolled out in 3 countries and we have to wait until OCTOBER for the rest of Europe, but hopefully this gets the ball rolling on this continent.

Time to up those download statistics....... Where did I put that damn UK credit card.....

I didnt realise France and Germany had VAT, although Apple do have a long tradition of charging us a lot more, no reason to stop that now.

is aple plannign to have a recording of the show in the quicktime apple news section of their website does anyone know? like they did for the windoze launch?
and while were at it ( i know its oof topic but) does anyone know if this years WWDC will be streamed live? I have heard that others have?

Back