iTrip and ipod model

Cow Loon

Registered
I bought someone a 40GB ipod a while back, and now I've bought them an iTrip thing. Now I'm worried the iTrip might not support the model of ipod.

On the griffentechnology web page, they list the models of ipod by terms that mean nothing to me. For example, they say the iTrip(2) supports 3rd and 4th generation ipods. Is the 40gb ipod a 3rd or 4th generation ipod? Also they talk about the "old iTrip" and "new iTrip" on one page (I gather I bought the "new Itrip"), then on the compatibility page they list the iTrip and iTrip(2). I'm guessing that the iTrip(2) is the new iTrip.

Anyway, I can send them email I guess, but maybe one of you knows if the 40gb ipod is 3rd or 4th generation ipod, or if the new iTrip is compatible.

As long as you have bought it in the past couple years and it's not the newest iPod that supports video playback then you should be good to go.

Hope this is what you where looking to hear.

Yay for workin at an Apple store (hint hint)

Alright, The difference between the old and new iTrip is that the original Has has a little rectangular plug that fits in the 3rd and 4th gen iPods
itrip.jpg

The new iTrip has a dock connector that fits in to any iPod with a dock Conector (3rd - 5th gen)
tg191lla_125.jpg

and the new one comes in black or white

so my next part is this. On the Left is a 3rd Gen, on the right is the 4th Gen
audio-new_ipod.jpg
ipod_charles.jpg

so i think you will be able to figure it all out from here ^_^

Griffin has the problem that they _also_ had iTrips for 1st and 2nd gen iPods, so they now have three models, basically, but are talking about "old" and "new" and 1) and 2). :/

Basically, if you have a dock connector (3rd gen and newer) on your iPod instead of a FireWire port (2nd gen and older), I'd get the newest available iTrip (the one with the display), because it'll be compatible with newer iPods, should you ever upgrade the iPod. Until Apple comes up with the "Dock Connector Extreme", that is. :p

off topic, to fryke:

oh you know it's going to happen, although we've not seen an Apple Extreme® product in a while :p.

closin the off-topic subject: It's January soon. Not that the iPod would change the connector, but those "Extreme" tags are usually MWSF stuff, right? :)

Back