iTrip

senne

Registered
This thing is really cool, but there's one thing i don't get:

If you're walking with your iPod playing, connected to an iTrip, in the street and you have the iTrip set on -take for example- 100.9FM. Does every radio in your not-too-far-distance hear YOUR iPod?? If they're listening to 100.9FM of course.. And also when 100.9FM is already another RadioStation??

The range is very short. I have both the iRock and TransPod that use similar FM transmitters. The range is only good within a foot or so of the radio. I first had the iRock and it work so-so while sitting just below my car stereo, but put it on my passenger seat and I would get a lot of static. I upgraded to the TransPod that uses the cigarette lighter for power and is located right there in front of my stereo. The TransPod works much better and has a great frequency range. I haven't tried the iTrip yet, but I plan to get one just because it doesn't require a battery like the iRock does. The FCC prohibits consumers from having devices that would transmit over a radio station. They do allow a short range (very short) and that is how these FM transmitters are allowed on the market.

Originally posted by bubbajim
The range is very short. I have both the iRock and TransPod that use similar FM transmitters. The range is only good within a foot or so of the radio. I first had the iRock and it work so-so while sitting just below my car stereo, but put it on my passenger seat and I would get a lot of static. I upgraded to the TransPod that uses the cigarette lighter for power and is located right there in front of my stereo. The TransPod works much better and has a great frequency range. I haven't tried the iTrip yet, but I plan to get one just because it doesn't require a battery like the iRock does. The FCC prohibits consumers from having devices that would transmit over a radio station. They do allow a short range (very short) and that is how these FM transmitters are allowed on the market.

i really hope it's more!! 1 foot is really not enough for me!!

i found it!

taken from Griffin's iTrip-page:

Operating range: 10-30 feet, depending on the quality of the FM radio receiver (limited by FCC regulations)

is that good? If it really can reach 30 feet max, it's good enough for me!! :D

My experience with the iRock is that it varies greatly in transmission quality. For one, the range is never 30 feet - NEVER. When the batteries are completed new the device will work somehow reliably within 10 feet. In my car (Z3) I get great reception because the car is small. In a lexus or Jetta I have been juggling to get a good frequency in.

I also tried to use it indoors and there the results have been really poor. Also, once the battery is half way empty, forget about using it. The signal gets really weak.

Nevertheless, the iRock works fine for my car.

G

Originally posted by Gedankenspiel
Also, once the battery is half way empty, forget about using it. The signal gets really weak.

with the iTrip the battery is never empy eh? It CAN be empty, but then the iPod will not play either... so no problem there

Back