Its and Hardware-Software thing

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
I'm using Apple's never-quite-finished Apple Telecom solution. Basically, you need an Geoport Telecom Adapter (a modem interface that you can usually find on eBay for about $10) and the Apple Telecom software version 3.0.1 (actually I forget the entire version number, but its the last one they released, available from Apple's FTP servers - try going to http://www.pure-mac.com for a link to it).

It works pretty well! Not only does it have an answering machine, it also acts as a speakerphone and a fax machine. All in all, pretty cool stuff! it should work great on a 9600, I had it running on an 8600 and it was smooth as butter. I'd recommend sticking to an older OS though, as OS 9 has some issues with these modems and the software. It was a tad unreliable under 9 on the 8600 (but not to say unusable), but using 7.6.1 it flew and worked great. Please note that Apple never finished working the bugs out of this software and eventually dropped the entire Geoport concept, which was a shame as it was supercool technology, especially for the time it was around.

BTW, does anyone here keep older PowerMacs running any version of 7x around? From my experience they work great, boot insanely fast, and still retain compatibility with a bunch of newer apps (although that last statement becomes less true every passing second).

sheeee ya

this entire post was supposed to go somewhere else, sorry everybody.

i feel like a shmoe.

Back