Its arrived!!! :-)

FrgMstr

Registered
Well just thought I would let you guys know my PB 12" has arrived today.

I am soooo impressed with it, it setup and connected to my wireless network and is sharing the internet connection in about 30secs :) and ive never used a mac before!

Well im very chuffed and just running software update now.

Congrats! I'm waiting for my new 17" PowerBook to come. I know it doesn't really do anything differently than my current 15", like it doesn't come with OS X-Treme or some weird, new software I haven't seen, I just wanna play! :)

You gonna test out that sudden motion sensor for all of us? ;)

Enjoy your new PowerBook!

Cancel that thanks, i just figured it out!

Instructions for a one off manual repair permissions would be very much appreciated though :) It doesnt seem to be in the FAQ section.

Open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), select your boot volume and pick either verify permissions or repair permissions.

Awww, GUI? C'mon, you want to crack open that terminal! ;)

> sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

I always like to use sudo, as its logged nicely for me, in case I blow something up :)

concerning beginner and terminal(both well represented in this thread) - is there any good resources on howto get into simple, and after a while a bit more experienced terminal commands...?

any links would be appreciated..!

cheers, have a good weekend!
alex.

This is going to be a noob question no doubt but what is Terminal for and how can learnign to use beight a Mac user?

Terminal is an application in your Utility folder for using UNIX, the under lying system in OS X.

Check the links I posted.

I'm moving this to the System & Software forum.

If your just starting out with the Terminal...here's a rule of thumb...

If your not sure what your doing, exactly, first, don't do it as an Admin account and secondly, if the terminal asks you for a password, don't continue! :)

That'll help prevent you from doing anything to your system you may not realize you are.

isuppose from a noob point of view, and someone used to pc's, the terminal is basically like dos, or the command line - it's alll the raw code that makes macos what it is - solid, dependable and jaw-droppingly gorgeous at times

Back