It's Greek to me

piquant

Registered
Back when I was happy with life, Mail 1,3,9 sent and received mail as did Gmail. I worked on the Mail console, while Gmail provided both POP and SMTP servers. It was a neat deal. Then Mail began screwing up by sending mail as usual, but failing to receive my mail. For reasons only a psychiatrist could undestand, I opted to insatall Yahoo to punish Google. The upshot was I had two first-class web email clients, and a half-assed Mail client on my HD. I tweaked my machine to within an inch of its life, but it still failed to receive mail.

Today, I received the missive seen below. I can't make head or tail of it.

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 Message not allowed - [320] (state 18).

You should see the bottom three thirds of the above, it's staggering

Is there anyone out there conversant with this kind of language? If so, in plain words, what's my problem?

(incidentally, how come I can receive Google's message on Mail, but nothing else?)

The error with that one email you sent seems to be on the receiver's end, not yours. The server you sent it to rejected it for some reason. Is it perhaps a business address? Maybe their spam blocker is overzealous. I dealt with this kind of problem a lot when I was working in IT. Nothing to do about it except email the network administrator where you were trying to send the email, or send the email to an alternate address of your recipient (like their gmail account if they have one).

As for Mail's problem, I'm not sure. Maybe gmail changed their server or the settings necessary to connect. Unfortunately gmail no longer has instructions for Mail 1.x, but if you look at the settings for Mail 2.x, it'll probably be close enough to work with.

It was with a sense of relief that I read your reply. Happily, none of the addressees (where delivery failed) were of importance, so failure of delivery was not a painful trauma. That the fault likely lay at the intended recipient's doorstep help ease my concern.

I looked into gmail's configuration for Mail 2.0 per your suggestion and discovered it was meant to setup IMAP, my problem entry was with POP. I did find instructions for Mail 3.0 which seemed very similar to the setup I was using. I made one change that seemed to make a difference, I'll know more after I watch my inbox for a couple of days.

Thank you kindly for your savvy.

Back