iTunes 2.0.4 Out

Maybe the iTunes update makes syncronization with the new iPod features more smooth or something.

why should we have to restart for this install? i am not taking this box down for a mp3 player!

amo - brilliant avatar!

Reason for restart - it installs a new kernel extension, iPodDriver.kext. OS X allows dynamic loading and unloading of kernel extensions, (kextload and kextunload commands) so you really shouldn't need to do anything if the iPod driver isn't loaded when you install. If it is, you should be able to get away with unloading it, installing, and reloading it.

Thing is, Apple engineers seem too lazy to use the brilliant UNIX features S Jobs is so gung-ho about. This does not give anyone else any initiative to rise above "installing anything at all interesting means rebooting".

Sorry for the rant, it's a peeve of mine.

scruffy: Take heart. At least things can only get better from here. In OS 9, you probably didn't even have a choice BUT to restart. :p

I should note that someone on MacFixIt.com said that iTunes 2.0.4 FINALLY fixes the bug where it can cause the loss of all USB devices on the bus, forcing you to do a hard restart. I am particularly glad of this, even though I wasn't having the symptom that often.

Couldn't you just unplug your USB devices and plug them back in? If not, good thing they got that fixed!

Still, sounds like an OS bug, if any old program can do that. Or do you mean plugging in the iPod?

scruffy: The only partial solution was to put your comp to sleep, then wake it from sleep and then you MIGHT have your USB devices back. But yes, it was iTunes that did this, not the operating system. It was VERY, VERY annoying. There were some times when it was happening 3 times a day or so. I'm glad that I won't be seeing that bug again.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but 2.0.4 really seemed to improve iTunes performance on my 233 iMac. Seems much snappier in loading, and working with playlists etc. Maybe I'm imagining it. . . .

is anyone else having problems downloading the update off of apple's web page? i keep getting messages saying that i don't have access to the file on the server.

pete

Lucky you...

I'm still getting occasional pops and clicks introduced into my MP3s when ripping from CDs...

Not sure what causes it, but I have a feeling the Sonnet Encore Duet 500 introduced the problem... it's a pity because on my machine, I'm getting anywhere from 9x - 11x ripping speeds.

Cheers.

Originally posted by homer
Well, I don't know about you guys, but 2.0.4 really seemed to improve iTunes performance on my 233 iMac. Seems much snappier in loading, and working with playlists etc. Maybe I'm imagining it. . . .

I'm only getting up to 6.4x ripping speeds, AND half my CDs aren't ripping properly. HOPEFULLY, the update will fix that!

Back